1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this post, so please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

Picked up this series 70 GCNM used at a pawn shop a while back (I think it was made late 1980/early 81?). Good price, I didn't have a full size 1911 at the time, and I'd always wanted a Gold Cup. It's really what sent me down the 1911 rabbit hole after only owning two 1911s previously.

I knew it obviously wasn't stock, but I don't know what I don't know. I picked up a Wilson flat MSH and Wilson GI recoil spring kit to replace the arched MSH and full-length guide rod. When they arrived, I gave this a detail strip and noticed that the MSH, barrel bushing, firing pin, slide, etc were all marked with the last three digits of the S/N. It also came with a plastic King's magwell and mag with King's bumper pad.

My understanding is that this gun would have originally come with a collet bushing, flat MSH, regular recoil guide system, and so on. When I saw these "matching" parts that did not seem original, I did a very quick look for some sort of other gunsmith's marking but didn't notice anything.

Any ideas on what might be going on with this heater? Appreciate any advice or research direction you might have.

gc 3.jpg
gc 9.jpg
gc 8.jpg
gc 5.jpg
gc 4.jpg
gc 3.jpg
gc 2.jpg
gc 1.jpg

·
Dremel jockey
4,366 Posts
I'd guess it has the NP3 coating done by Robar.
They have marked all small parts in this fashion in the past.

Reactions: Jimhoag and blamo

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured someone had and was wondering about the small part marking. Thanks @Bender and @pistolwretch for sharing the knowledge.

This makes me wonder if it'd still be a good candidate for a base gun, or if a better 'smith would not want to touch it at this point...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts