close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Series 70, Series 80, ILS and Swartz

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Quack, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Series 70, Series 80, ILS and Swartz are 3 terms that are usually talked about with different 1911's.

The Series 70 1911's are how JMB originally designed them. There are no Firing Pin Blocks (FPB) or additional lock's.

The Series 80 1911's add a FPB. The S80 FPB is actuated when you pull the trigger. There are 2 additional lever's as well as the plunger that are added to accomplish this. In addition to the 3 parts, the grip safety and extractor are also different than the S70 1911's. The image below shows the S80 levers and plunger.

[​IMG]

The Swartz safety is used by Kimber and is also a FPB. It operates a little differently than the S80. Instead of using the trigger and lever's to move the FP Plunger up, there is a lever that moves when the grip safety is pressed. Kimber's that have the Swartz safety use the "II" designation after the model name. The image below shows the Swartz safety.

[​IMG]

Did you ever wonder why Springfield 1911's never came with a cable lock? It's because they use what they call Integral Locking System or ILS. When the hammer is down, you can lock it in this position using a key on the MSH. The ILS can be disabled by replacing the MS cap, mainspring and adding a MS Cap pin. In the photo below, you can see the ILS on the left side of the MSH. The pin on the right is used to retain the ILS if you are going to remove the MSH.
    The SACS built guns do not have the ILS

[​IMG]

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    More good info. The Springfield Armory Custom Shop guns do not have the ILS if I recall. If I am wrong, please correct me.

3. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    That is correct, only the "production" guns.

4. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Production, semi-custom, and full custom 1911's could be another sticky for those newer to the platform. Just thinking out loud... Ignore me if you like.

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    thinking about that, but i hate labels, just ask Trent :lol:

6. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Let's not forget about the S&W grip safety activated FPS.

7. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Thankfully, no

8. Isom93

Isom93 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Isn't the S&W setup essentially just the Series 80 style FPS but with deactivation accomplished via the grip safety rather than the trigger itself? I've always thought that this might be the best solution to a grip safety that avoids the 'messes up the trigger pull' debate. However, to be honest, while I was once a devotee of the non FPS guns I have to admit that the well tuned Series 80 setups I have fired felt every bit as good to my finger as the stuff with no FPS. So much so that now I actually lean a bit toward having the FPS in there on anything I intend to carry.

Great thing about the 1911, so much variety that there really are different strokes for different folks.

9. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I have learned about the Swartz safety, interesting and also that I need to be careful when putting the slide back on.

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    correct. don't grip the grip safety when putting the slide on.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    For some reason I always turn the slide upside down and slide the frame on.. They silly levers would always fall down and ding the back of the slide. There's a quick fix for that I learned later.. LOL.. Ron

12. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    That's how I put mine together too... am I missing something?

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Nah.. I just sold/traded all my FP/blockers off and started over with series 70 pistols.. LOL.. It wasn't for that reason, but it turned out to be an added benefit.. Cheers.. Ron

14. deadguy

deadguy Malcolm Young: ACDC Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I disabled the ILS on a production Spingfield I once had. Since I had an extra pin set I installed a MS cap pin and it shot just fine.

15. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Technically, the Series 70 was a Colt Government sized model made from 1970-83 and nothing more. But the term has taken on a life of its own.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted