series 80 firing pin safety

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 1911fanatic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I know I will probably get alot of flak on this, but what is the general consensus on removing this infernal device? I have done this on my series 80 colt, (the "filler plate" available at brownells.com) It has lightened the trigger and taken the most of the creep out. The only downside in my opinion is the gaping hole in the slide where the firing pin plunger used to be. Fire away.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    That's your call.

I have a Series 80 Colt Commander, it's been worked on by Chuck Rogers.
    It has as good of a trigger as any "non safety" 1911 I've ever shot.
    I see no reason to remove it.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I don't see any reason to remove it either. When I squeeze the trigger it goes bang and shoots true. I'm mostly a plinker with my guns and don't worry about a tiny bit of creep and 1# lighter trigger pull in pistols much. Rifles yes as I'm trying to hit a small target at long range 300-1,000yrds. not a pop can at 15-20.

4. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    I have to agree with the both of you. I saw this part on brownells and bought and installed it in as much experimentation as anything. I never had any previous problems with the safety, I just don't like it.

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    If it works for you,........go with it.

6. a454me

a454me New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I have a1991 Colt that had a heavy trigger pull ,I got the spacer from Brownells along with a new sear spring and a lighter mainspring .After installing the new parts the trigger was noticeably lighter so I reinstalled the FP safety levers and it turns out the improvement was all in the springs .

7. soylent green

soylent green people eater

Nov 17, 2011
    This is my thoughts on it (pure speculation). If the gun is for the range I say go for it. If this is a carry gun I would not tamper with the safety system. I have a strange feeling that in the unfortunate event that you would have to use that gun. The judge and jury wouldn't look to kindly on a "tampered with" safety system. Like I said before. This is pure speculation.

8. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    As I tend to agree with the above statement, I have had a colt, in the late 80's where I had to remove the parts following a botched trigger Job by a rookie smith.
    I eventuall got rid of the colt but I reinstalled all factory parts when I sold it.
    I did build a Para Frame kit and used the plate instead of the parts. I have done trigger jobs on my other Para's without removing the parts and they are just fine.

9. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    In order to understand why the 80's safety system exist in the first place, one has to remember history! Money...Lawsuits over money as usual.
    Okay so we know the the safeties. Grip safety, thumb safety and half cock notch. However, what most folks may not know, is that the thumb safety besides blocking the movement of the sear, also will slow down the hammer in case the sear should brake.
    So it's actually build in overkill in combination with the 80's type safety.
    Again the legal system wins over comen sense.

10. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Removing the series 80 parts doesn't remove creep. It removes the gritty feeling of the levers and the plunger you feel during take up. Creep doesn't happen during take up. It happens after that point.

It doesn't bother me either way. I have worked on a TON of series 80 guns and with a good trigger job, you don't even know those parts are there.

11. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    I did not have to change any springs. My trigger is 4lbs exactly, it was never very heavy, just gritty/creepy. taking the stupid fp safety levers out alleviated this. My springfield milspec on the other hand has a 7lb trigger, heavy, but fairly crisp.

12. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    this is indeed a range gun. I like it too much to carry it and mar the finish up. And as far as selling it, no, that one is gonna get tossed in the casket with me.

13. IndianRay

IndianRay Member

Aug 18, 2015
    So what I take away from the posts above is you can have a great trigger even with all the 80 series safeties in place and functional. Am I correct?

14. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Yup. I did a 2.75 pound series 80 Gold Cup trigger job last week. You can hardly tell the parts are there.

15. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Yes you can. I have an 80 Series built by Novaks and it has a very nice trigger.

Novak Colt 003.JPG

EXFI, 41 Charlie and bnaples like this.
  16. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    Got a Series 80 GCNM with a great 3.5# trigger courtesy of the CCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    You sure have some sweet pistols, Ms. Grass!

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm still trying to figure out why people hate the 80's series. The trigger is just as good as the the 70 series. Doesn't make sense to me. I have 2 Lou builds and ........................ Y'all can run your mouths all ya want but there isn't a bit of difference in a good trigger. An extra bit of safety and NO draw backs, so what is the problem other than putting the pieces in when ya break it down and put it back together. Are y'all that inept at working with your hands?

Jimhoag, Arkie, 1911fanatic and 2 others like this.
  19. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    so what is the problem ? - the internet

1911fanatic, azpoolguy and Sawgrass like this.
  20. IndianRay

IndianRay Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Maybe it is simply a matter of personal preference. Here's mine. I like oldskool things. I like them as simple as possible. I like things that stick as close to the original design as possible. Things that are genuine. The 70 series firing system meets all those qualities, so for me, it is 70 and nothing else. For those who like 80 series or have no preference, you should get what you like and enjoy it.

TenTea, 41 Charlie and Jimhoag like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted