1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this what people are referring to when they talk about a mis-timed Series 80 safety? This plunger has nicks around its entire circumference. If so, what's the best route forward for this gun? I'm thinking of having this "converted" to a Series 70 setup while it's being rebuilt.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!

It is indeed the trigger bar lever is not engaging the plunger tube soon enough to allow free clearance of your firing pin.
From your perspective as a smith, would it be smarter to have the conversion done or to drop in a replacement lever and plunger tube?

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,374 Posts
Looks like a timing issue. I would convert or just get a 70 series.
100%^^^^^^

This is the reason I will never own another Series 80 Colt.
It’s interesting that the other manufacturers Colt Licensed
to use the system that I own never seem to have this problem.:confused:

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,374 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definitely tempted to have this converted over to Series 70 so I just never have to worry about checking this part

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,295 Posts
I believe it's a matter of preference when it comes to series 70/80 prefer 70 myself, but your problem is very fixable with the N lever mentioned above or by slightly adjusting the trigger bar. However adjusting trigger bar is more difficult.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it's a matter of preference when it comes to series 70/80 prefer 70 myself, but your problem is very fixable with the N lever mentioned above or by slightly adjusting the trigger bar. However adjusting trigger bar is more difficult.
If I grabbed the N lever, would it be prudent to also replace the plunger itself? I figure having a "clean slate" would help in detecting any possible issues down the road

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Just remove and convert to a S70 gun, good to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts