Serious Question

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Sneaky One, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I really have limited rifle knowledge and experience. My question is which platform between AR or bolt action rifle is inherently more accurate ? Lets say assuming the same caliber and the best examples available of each platform. Is there a difference ? Thanks

mikemac likes this.
  2. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Bolt action is more accurate. Less moving parts is one of the reasons.

mikemac, WC145, boatdoc and 8 others like this.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I agree...bolt action is significantly more accurate ( less moving parts, tighter lockup, etc...) ..... but the AR platform, in some configuarations, has gotten a lot better over the years.

UBOATDOC, boatdoc, Geoff and 4 others like this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Much faster lock times with a bolt gun. Even my fancy shamnsy high speed match ar triggers, have glacial lock times compared to your average 700. Ar's have come a long way and free floated high quality barrels often achieve 1/2 MOA or better.

UBOATDOC, boatdoc, Geoff and 3 others like this.
  5. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    All the above make perfect sense.....

ImperialBlade likes this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Agree 110% Bolt action all the way.. If you look even at all the long range shooters, Sniper Rifles, etc.. all bolt action guns. Bolt action guns are mostly built on the premise of accuracy, thus most good or excellent hunting rifles are bolt action as well. Planning on making that one shot count no matter what..

mikemac, Sneaky One, BigJimP and 2 others like this.
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Some snipers carry bolt actions, others carry semi-autos. Depends on the intended situation. EBRs are quite popular in some units.

UBOATDOC and Sneaky One like this.
  8. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    What would be a highly accurate semi auto?

Sneaky One and FWoo45 like this.
  9. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I vote single shot...LOL
    I think while a good bolt gun may be inherently more accurate, I have a couple outstanding ARs and frankly I'm probably not a good enough shooter to notice a significant difference...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  10. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Bolt gun will be more accurate if everything else is equal parts wise.

11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    20181110_001057.jpg
    These are both more accurate than I am. A 6.5 Grendel and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both with bartlein barrels from precision firearms and Geisselle hsnm triggers.

Dub, Whistler, jmr986 and 4 others like this.
  12. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Those look really sexy.

FWoo45 and Sneaky One like this.
  13. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    There is a reason Bench Rest rifles are bolt action.

14. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    This is a no brainer. Just for example. I will get pics but it is a PIA to get into the safe to get them out. :)

My competition rifles are all made to tolerances that a semi auto is not capable of holding those tolerances. Right bolt left port BR Actions made by BAT, Kelby, Farley, and my favorite the Stiller Python. Chambers having tolerances that would not permit the cycling of ammo reliably in a semi auto. Triggers are 1oz and there is not a safety on the rifles. The transition of ammo from the magazine in a semi auto is violent and is not good for concentricity. The other issue and this is a significant one----heat from the chamber being transmitted to the loaded round before being ready to fire down range. when shooting a for record string everything has to be perfect in the rifle being slid back forward against the stop on the front of the rest and condition is perfect then and only then do I feed the round and close the bolt. Touching the trigger with the tip of my finger while "hovering" over the bench with the buttstock only every so slightly touching my shoulder.

Not even going into the bedding and stiffness of the actions that are some of the finer points such as harmonics of not just the barrel but the entire firearm.

Now that being said I have and have seen some very accurate semi auto rifles. Depends on what you are doing with them. BR rifles (at least mine) have to have a towel placed over the action in windy dusty conditions because they will become inoperable especially between relays. Seen it happen.

UBOATDOC, BenchMonkey, gaijin and 2 others like this.
  15. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    You know long range shooting is my real passion, right?

And we haven't talked in a bit. If you're looking at getting setup for the long range game, gimme a call.

FWoo45, Sneaky One and Guy Montag like this.
  16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Like I said, it depends on the situation. You can have a multi-purpose rifle, or one that serves one purpose only.

A properly built bolt action can be more accurate of course, but I wouldn't even consider taking it into a situation where my life might be in danger.

Without a specified use case you're just opening a theoretical can-o-worms. Which is great for debate in a forum thread. :)

Sneaky One likes this.
  17. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    I had 2 BSA Martini single shot lever guns that would match a bolt gun any day on the bench

18. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    :laugh: I know you were joking but here is some good reference information for the pinnacle of accuracy seekers.

The Equipment List of the 2018 IBS 1k BR Heavy and Light Gun Championships.
    Below is that link is another for those that are interested in the sport or just want to learn more about precision shooting.

https://www.mt1000yd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/IBS-Nationals-2018-Equipment-List-as-entered.pdf
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/1000-yard-nationals/

Sneaky One likes this.
  19. vegas7777

vegas7777 Member

Jun 15, 2018
    There are hybrids out there, Mossberg MVP LC, for example. Though I've heard of accuracy issues with the MVP.

Sneaky One likes this.
  20. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012

Busa Dave likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted