1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off, I'm not a glock guy at all.
2nd, I've owned probably 10 or so over the last 35-36 years since glock came to the US
3rd I bought one of the first gen1's that came to the shop I worked at somewhere around 85-86
I didn't like it, didn't shoot it well. I was used to a combat commander in 45..
Plus at the time most of us thought a 9mm wasn't capable but 17 rounds had a nice ring to it.
Except when I hauled the weight of those rounds around all day.
I've owned the 17, 19, 26, 22 and what ever model was the 357 Sig or maybe it was a conversion bbl, don't remember.
They all got sold or traded away.

Bought a used 17 gen3 back about 12 years ago for my SOL bag. Did some trigger work and I kinda of like that gun.
Fast forward to the beginning of the month.

I friend that I've done a ton of work for GIFTED me this Shadow System gun that I installed a Timney trigger in it for him!
I've manipulated it a lot in the living room and came to appreciate the low grip filler. It feels close to a 2011 slightly like a 1911.
The angle is about the same so it points well for a 1911 user. Also has enough room on the grip to get my weak hand on it fully.
I've got xxxl large palms and sausage fingers!!!

With the Timney trigger in it. The break is good and reset is short and quick. Not a 1911 but much better than a glock trigger.
Good quality barrel, sights are great. It basically has all the upgrades folks would do to a fancy glock.
I've shot maybe 500-700 rounds out of it in the cold weather and it has yet to malfunction.
Shot it slow fire and doing drills and it's easy to shoot well at speed from 3-25 yards. I've shanked a few shots but no more than with my
beloved 1911/2011's.

Shot this group today at 25yds , just under 10 seconds from the holster, free hand.
It is one of the best I've shot with it, that's on me not the gun.
From the bench I've shot several 10 shot groups that are all in or cutting the x ring at 25yds.
Great accuracy for gloch type pistol in my opinion

Font Rectangle Tints and shades Circle Art

· Banned
Staccato P, Staccato C2, Dan Wesson Vigil 45, Dan Wesson ECO 9mm, Dan Wesson Vbob 45
488 Posts
Do you really think the adjustable back straps make that much difference from a Glock.
I've owned multiple generations of glock....34, 17, 19, 26. I've also owned a DR920, MR920, and CR920. The short answer is yes, it really does make a difference.

Glocks are ugly, and have bad ergos (at least for me). But they work, and they're cheap. If they work for you and you dont think you'll change anything, you probably have no need for the Shadow Systems. If you want to undercut the trigger guard, stipple the grip, change the sights, mill the slide for an optic, etc., the value of the Shadow Systems goes up. When you add that out of the box you have better grip texture, trigger, sights, optic mounting system, and the "accelerator" style cuts on the frame, it's a no-brainer, unless you like spending money and want to "perfectionize" your glock. Don't get me wrong, there are some companies out there doing some really cool slide machining and grip stippling. But out of the box, my opinion is the shadow systems is the better option.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you really think the adjustable back straps make that much difference from a Glock.
HUGE difference
All the gloch back straps do is make the grip bigger.
Back when the gen4's came out. I was working at a shop that sold lots of glochs.
We got a shop sponsored gun (34) I shot it in uspsa for them etc etc.
Finally I filled the hump, then ground it down . Cut the beavertail off mounted it and filled the cut off to smooth it off.

Basically did a grip reduction of the Hump that makes glochs point uphill and amde a make shift beavertail, so I could shoot it.

These grips change the grip angle from Large = gloch grip. Med is close to M&P angle and small is real close to 1911/2011.
The small still gives enough room for getting your weak hand on it.

I still like 1911/2011 grips better.
but this grip system is close to 1911 grip angle, though not really feel.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree
I can't even guess how many glochs I've upgraded similar to the way SS's are set up from the factory.
ALSO a big fan that they are USA company. Not just have an office here.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to use some this year for Carry optics division.
If it works they way it has shooting and doing practice drills so far.
I may sell off some of the SIG 320's I have.
Really liking it so far.

Reactions: Greg M.

· Registered
239 Posts
Shadow systems solves a lot of the glock issues for me. That small backstrap duplicates the 1911 angle and is a total win. So I don't present high. The trigger with practice can be managed. If you can shoot a DA revo you can learn to shoot a Glock you just can't be staging the trigger, have to smoothly pull through.

SS front sight with the green outline on the trit dot is great, the little fence around the slide release is great, the stippling works and the optic mounting system allows for direct mount of most popular optics, setting the optic nice and low. And as noted they are accurate.

There's an awful lot to like in the Shadow Systems guns. I bought, um, more than one, and am selling corresponding Glocks.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shot this again the other day for our addicts Jan challenge.
Shot it really well.
Almost feel bad how much I enjoy this thing!
Not a 1911/2011 but keeps a smile on my face with how it preforms with the Timney trigger in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts