1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Sharps 1874/1877 shooters out there?

I'm planning a Bison hunt in the next year or so and got the nostalgia bug to use a Sharps rifle. I don't plan on shooting black powder but to go with modern 45-70 ammo. I'm partial to Garrett's 420gr Hammerhead +P loads, which according to their website will work in the Shiloh, C. Sharps and Pedersoli 1874 replicas.

No immediate plans to get in to the black powder shooting competitions but I enjoy shooting single shots and like the falling block action.

Appears Shiloh is at the top end of the manufacturers with prices and build times up there as well. This will go above my fireplace mantle, so aesthetics will matter too.

Any recommendations folks can offer?

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I skirmished in the N-SSA, I shot both a Shiloh 1863 carbine and rifle. They are very well crafted rifles, almost perfect. C. Sharps is a quality rifle too but I prefer Shiloh.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems those two are at the top of the list. Pedersoli has a good reputation as well but not in the same league.

·
Deo Volente
7,123 Posts
Any Sharps 1874/1877 shooters out there?

I'm planning a Bison hunt in the next year or so and got the nostalgia bug to use a Sharps rifle. I don't plan on shooting black powder but to go with modern 45-70 ammo. I'm partial to Garrett's 420gr Hammerhead +P loads, which according to their website will work in the Shiloh, C. Sharps and Pedersoli 1874 replicas.

No immediate plans to get in to the black powder shooting competitions but I enjoy shooting single shots and like the falling block action.

Appears Shiloh is at the top end of the manufacturers with prices and build times up there as well. This will go above my fireplace mantle, so aesthetics will matter too.

Any recommendations folks can offer?
Pay close attention to the rifling in the barrel so that the smokeless high velocity heavy loads stabilize.

Used too fantasize about a custom Shiloh Sharps in 45-70.

Ever considered a Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter High Grade???
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/048702018121

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a fan of the Winchester 1885. I have a few Ruger No 1s but like the lines of the 1885 better.

Twist rate is 1:20 in the Pedersoli replicas, which should be fine for under 500gr bullets. My Marlin 1895 Guide Gun ran a similar twist in a 18.5" barrel and did fine with 420 grain ammo from Garrett and Buffalo Bore. I believe Shilohs are running 1:18s for the heavier pills and longer distances but not sure.

·
What me worry ?
11,104 Posts
OP , I use Garrett Ammo exclusively when hunting dangerous game it just works and will stop anything.
Please make sure your Sharps will handle the pressure created by the ammo .... be careful !! Good hunt Sir

963D7667-F5AD-4C60-9A8E-B629978083A3.jpeg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Tac. The Pedersoli Sharps will handle the 420 Grain Hammerhead +P, but aren't rated for the 540 Grain standard pressure or +P ammo. I'm thinking it is more about throat dimensions with some rifles able to feed/chamber the cartridge, while others can't.

Ran across this one at a Cabelas down in Buda, TX and it is coming my way. It comes with a Vernier tang sight and front sight globe that haven't been mounted.

download.png

·
Deo Volente
7,123 Posts
It used to be that Shiloh Sharps offered a lot more options.
Thanks Tac. The Pedersoli Sharps will handle the 420 Grain Hammerhead +P, but aren't rated for the 540 Grain standard pressure or +P ammo. I'm thinking it is more about throat dimensions with some rifles able to feed/chamber the cartridge, while others can't.

Ran across this one at a Cabelas down in Buda, TX and it is coming my way. It comes with a Vernier tang sight and front sight globe that haven't been mounted.

View attachment 432779
Nice looking rifle you got. Is that a pedersoli?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You will get your fill of heavy loads in front of that crescent buttplate pretty soon. I even scouted up a shotgun butt for my .38-55. But it was my first BPCR, shot 40+ at silhouettes, 30+ at midrange, not a few sighters and a shot or two at hair.

·
What me worry ?
11,104 Posts
It is. Looks like it was a Cabelas special edition. Looks exactly like their current Old West Maple model except it comes with the Venier tang and Globe front sight. Here is what it should look like when everything is installed.

View attachment 432823
I have to say that’s one beautiful rifle, I hope you enjoy it , I’d own it and shoot it !
Go easy and be sure it extracts properly with Garrett ammo ,
You may need to polish the chamber slightly , Be sure to check
Before taking it to the field, those Buffalo are faster then you think
You don’t want to get “ kissed “ trying to reload !

·
Registered
381 Posts
+1 to what Jim said. Your load should be fine with the Pedersoli and will do the job on Buffalo if you do your part. I hope you get the opportunity to shoot blackpowder load through it someday. That is what it was designed for and it really shines with good loads. Just make sure you use reloading equipment that does not potentially generate static electricity. I had an aluminum hopper to replace the acrylic one one my Redding BR3 measure and use aluminum powder funnels. Loved my Shiloh 45-90 out to 1000 yds, but got rid of it when I decided to simplify. I use an 1885 45-70 now for everything and paper patch bullets to allow me to get to 1000. 1-18 twist is pretty standard for .45 barrels.

Good luck!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one will be a shooter. I seem to be spending more time shooting my older rifles, like the M1 Garand and '03 Springfield.

While I haven't reloaded cartridges with black powder, I have shot black powder loads in my 1870 (50-70) and 1884 Trapdoors. I picked up some ammo from Buffalo Arms but they don't get out very often.

I'm amazed at what the Sharps is capable of. We were shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor out to 800 yards with a 3-24X March scope and were pretty pleased with ourselves at being able to ring steel. Wind got sucked out of our sails when a guy sat down one bench over doing just as well off of sticks. He was shooting a Shiloh 1874.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Shilohs and C Sharps are great and add some snoot factor. But, every Pedersoli I’ve come across held up just fine to the Shilohs and C Sharps from an accuracy standpoint.

·
Deo Volente
7,123 Posts
You will get your fill of heavy loads in front of that crescent buttplate pretty soon. I even scouted up a shotgun butt for my .38-55. But it was my first BPCR, shot 40+ at silhouettes, 30+ at midrange, not a few sighters and a shot or two at hair.
You can always get a lace on pad like I did for that little SXS 12Ga. By the end of a shotgun heavy match people were snickering at Bang! Ouch! Bang! Ouch! :eek:.o::(:roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Reactions: tac45

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have owned 2 Shiloh Sharps in the past, currently have a Pedersoli Long Range Express, I would rate the quality as equal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Pedersoli 45-90 that shoots mighty well 1 1/2" 5 shots 100 yds. I am sure i will put down a buffalo in fine fashion. Shoots great with black powder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts