Shell holders and the .45 ACP...

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by daved20319, Nov 21, 2018.

1. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Was going to order some extra shell holders for .45 ACP so I can leave one in my hand primer, instead of having to reconfigure half way through the process (I load on a single stage press). Was all set to order when I noticed that RCBS makes a distinction for primer size with this cartridge, namely, large primers. Problem is, most of the range pick-up .45 ACP is now small primer. And there is some definite slop using the LPP shell holder on the small primer sleeve with my RCBS hand priming tool. Does someone make a shell holder for small primer .45 ACP, or is the slop too small to matter? Thanks.

Dave

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    First off, I feel your pain so to speak, a few years ago I switched over to SPP .45. I now have a bunch of LPP laying around and some Starline under the tree already.

To the best of my knowledge limited as it is that the green machine does not. Lee however engineered their primer holders as a one size fits all with changeable trays for LPP and SPP. The good news is one of those gems won't break the bank and the other is you don't have to swap shell holders around. Lee has holders just for their priming tools, not for use in presses. For .45 large or small it's #2.

Midsouth has the Autoprime and Auto Benchprime ( on my Christmas list) in stock and went break the bank, both are well under 30.00 clams and a shell holder will set you back a couple of bucks.
    Good Luck!

3. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Thank you, but I ended up taking a different route and ordered the Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. It includes a large set of shell holders, change overs are quick and easy, and you can actually dial in primer seating depth, so no more risk of high or low primers. Been wanting one for awhile, figured this was as good an excuse as any to go ahead and order it :). Plus, that still leaves the RCBS as a good backup, and I can take a sledgehammer to that Hornady :mad:. Later.

Dave

BenchMonkey likes this.
  4. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Good to hear you found a solution to your liking. My experiance with Frankford has been hit and miss. I have a tumbler that rumbles right along after 10 years of really nasty range pick up and God only knows how many pounds of media. While a dial caliper quit after I looked at it sideways!:D

5. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I've got a fair amount of FA stuff and it's all been a really good bang for the buck. The new priming tool showed up today, it's everything I was expecting and then some. Nice solid feel, and smooth operation right out of the box. And swapping shell holders and primer size is just as fast and easy as advertised, a pleasant surprise these days :rolleyes:. Had hoped to give it a workout this evening, but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow. Will report back if I have any issues, otherwise, no news is good news :). Later.

Dave

BenchMonkey likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted