1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hakuna Matata
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used this service before? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: B81

·
SHEEPLE HERDER
1,648 Posts
Ditto on using it without issue.

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Incurable..... NRA Lifer
440 Posts
I've been wanting to try it but they never have the FFL I want to send to.... Lots of FFL's, just none that I want to use are in their database.

Reactions: deadguy

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,927 Posts
I've been wanting to try it but they never have the FFL I want to send to.... Lots of FFL's, just none that I want to use are in their database.
Herein lies the biggest problem with SMG. If the receiving FFL is not on Bud's approved list, they must fax or email their license, and follow up with a phone call to be approved. This can delay shipping a few days. If the receiving FFL isn't able or willing to jump through these hoops, you're left with paying double to ship as an individual.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,483 Posts
Herein lies the biggest problem with SMG. If the receiving FFL is not on Bud's approved list, they must fax or email their license, and follow up with a phone call to be approved. This can delay shipping a few days. If the receiving FFL isn't able or willing to jump through these hoops, you're left with paying double to ship as an individual.
This is very true. A friend went through this. He waited over a week for his Ffl to get in the SMG system. Between delays on both sides , he just selected a different FFL from the SMG website. I don’t think his original ffl was ever entered on the approved list.

But if you and the other party are flexible on FFLs , they tend to list quite a few of approved ones.

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,927 Posts
This is very true. A friend went through this. He waited over a week for his Ffl to get in the SMG system. Between delays on both sides , he just selected a different FFL from the SMG website. I don’t think his original ffl was ever entered on the approved list.

But if you and the other party are flexible on FFLs , they tend to list quite a few of approved ones.
Yep. I shipped a gun recently to a fellow addict who used a small in-home FFL, and he was not in the system. It wasn't practical for the FFL to jump through the hoops, nor for the buyer to select another FFL that was on the list.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,483 Posts
Yep. I shipped a gun recently to a fellow addict who used a small in-home FFL, and he was not in the system. It wasn't practical for the FFL to jump through the hoops, nor for the buyer to select another FFL that was on the list.
Yeah, something tells me it’s more difficult fo an ffl to get in their list than what they say. It is supposed to require a copy of the ffl from the dealer. Once that is received by SMG, it is supposed to take only 3 days to set them up. If it was as easy as faxing or emailing a copy of the ffl, I don’t think it would have been a big deal for my friends ffl.

There’s no free lunch. There is probably a fee required from the ffl.

Maybe our fellow ffl holders will weigh in.

·
Colt 1911 Government
528 Posts
I usually just buy/sell/trade locally which allows both sides to inspect the gun. There is no paperwork required from two people in the State. I'll even meet the guy at a range if he wants to shoot it (he pays the range fee).

I use a local FFL when shipping. They charge $30 to pack and ship. I get a receipt from them that I am longer the owner (they are). If something happens in the shipping process, it's not my problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts