1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only time I've ever shipped a gun was to an individual. FFL to FFL. A couple guys I know have shipped their guns to have work done. They both shipped and recived their gun bypassing doing it by FFL. Is this legal?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,041 Posts
Yes you can send a gun directly to an FFL holder. But you cannot send through the post office. It has to go through Fed ex or ups..

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So should I have then packaged up first I guess. Do not want to freek anyone out.

·
14,799 Posts
Reactions: OldCuz

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,041 Posts
Yes package them up, you do need a copy of the manufacturers FFL in the box. The manufacturer your sending it to should be able to clarify all that needs done.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quite legal. I have fedups guns directly to manufacturer or gunsmith and gotten them back direct to me. You can mail a long gun but not a pistol, if you don't mind dealing with a hysterical postal clerk.

But first, ask your dealer. He can mail a pistol and he can get business rates from fedups. If he doesn't charge too much, you might come out ahead to let him handle it. But the gun will have to come back to him and you will probably have to reregister it.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes package them up, you do need a copy of the manufacturers FFL in the box. The manufacturer your sending it to should be able to clarify all that needs done.
Yep, Alex Zimmermann told me to include a copy our email convesation. Has all the info in it. Thanks

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,534 Posts
I’ve done it myself. Used UPS and had to ship from their “hub” in Dallas. Shipped over nite with insurance. The shipping box had to be closed/sealed at their location (to insure its unloaded condition). I had it sealed up and ready to ship but they made me unbox it in their presence. Shipped direct from me to the manufacturer.

ETA: No FFL was involved in shipping from me to the manufacturer and no “FFL paperwork” was included (or needed to be included) in the box.

·
14,799 Posts
I sent mine through a local FedEx drop off location. I was fortunate that S&W sent me a prepaid shipping label.

·
Registered
272 Posts
•Never write “handgun”, “pistol”, “firearm”, etc. on the outside of the package. According to BATF, this greatly increases the likelihood of shipper theft.
• A private party can legally ship a firearm to a manufacturer or a gunsmith and it can subsequently be returned back to the owner. You DO NOT have to use an FFL unless you choose to do so.
• Use your original plastic case if available. If not, use a sturdy cardboard box and generously pack as needed.
• Fed-Ex or UPS must be used. A private owner CANNOT ship a handgun using the United States Postal Service (USPS)
• Ship your firearm on a 2 day standard air service, DO NOT USE FEDEX or UPS GROUND SERVICE;
•As a private party shipper, DO NOT declare a firearm, indicate “machined parts” (which is accurate) if asked. Shippers are looking for hazardous materials when they inquire; they are not looking for firearms. The firearms industry doesn’t ship overnight, Fed-Ex and UPS only penalize the private party shipper like you!

·
SHEEPLE HERDER
1,650 Posts
Has to be shipped overnight by Fedex/UPS though.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool
688 Posts
•Never write “handgun”, “pistol”, “firearm”, etc. on the outside of the package. According to BATF, this greatly increases the likelihood of shipper theft.
• A private party can legally ship a firearm to a manufacturer or a gunsmith and it can subsequently be returned back to the owner. You DO NOT have to use an FFL unless you choose to do so.
• Use your original plastic case if available. If not, use a sturdy cardboard box and generously pack as needed.
• Fed-Ex or UPS must be used. A private owner CANNOT ship a handgun using the United States Postal Service (USPS)
• Ship your firearm on a 2 day standard air service, DO NOT USE FEDEX or UPS GROUND SERVICE;
•As a private party shipper, DO NOT declare a firearm, indicate “machined parts” (which is accurate) if asked. Shippers are looking for hazardous materials when they inquire; they are not looking for firearms. The firearms industry doesn’t ship overnight, Fed-Ex and UPS only penalize the private party shipper like you!
This! Some second party shippers UPS "Stores", various other shippers that are only representatives of the carrier have strict policies. My local place does, while UPS and FEDEX do not...package it well, tell them it is machined parts and send it anyway. Second day air is the minimum (less time in their hands, less time for screw up). Insure it for full value or more.

Reactions: OldCuz

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I “had” one particular gun that had to go back to Springfield multiple times. I boxed it up went to the FedEx hub, dropped it off and it was shipped backed to my house for delivery with a signature by some one over the age of 21 to receive.

I never encountered any issues with FedEx. Springfields ability to repair their own product is another story.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Only time I've ever shipped a gun was to an individual. FFL to FFL. A couple guys I know have shipped their guns to have work done. They both shipped and recived their gun bypassing doing it by FFL. Is this legal?
The Walgreens at Sunset Lake rd and Main street in Fuquay not too far from you has a fedEx counter and they’ll ship guns. The one time I did I had a shipping label sent by Colt.

It was returned once done from Colt to my front door.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This! Some second party shippers UPS "Stores", various other shippers that are only representatives of the carrier have strict policies. My local place does, while UPS and FEDEX do not...package it well, tell them it is machined parts and send it anyway. Second day air is the minimum (less time in their hands, less time for screw up). Insure it for full value or more.
The UPS store or the like can not take firearms. Had to be actual fedex or ups.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts