1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Reasonably Well Known Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method does everyone use to ship guns they have sold here on the forum, and what's your cost, excluding ffl fees if you have any, for an average distance? FedEx just charged me $110 to ship overnight, which they say is mandatory for hand guns, from New Orleans to Denver. Thanks.

WP

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I also ship through a local FFL. They can ship it 2nd day air, and they only charge me for their shipping costs.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
That is about right, costs me from $110 to $150 depending on declared value, Milks shipped my gun back to me using UPS and it was $150. If you are in a state where a FFL will ship it for you for less then that is an option, CA FFLs charge $100-$150 to receive or ship a gun, not worth it to not do it yourself here.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I pay between $55-90 to ship handguns and rifles. I take it to my local FFL and he sends them UPS. Tells me it’s not legal to use the Post Office.
I’ve not tried “shipmygun” but I had one sent to my usual FFL with no problem.
I might try them sometime soon as I believe it’s a significant savings?
I read a thread on here some time ago and OP had nothing but good to say about them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It depends on your relationship with your FFL. Mine shipped a Kimber 45 app pistol to another FFL for $20, but I know my FFL and vice versa. Shipmyguns.com will cost you about $40 for a pistol, but the receiving FFL must take transfers from an individual (you). Shipmyguns.com is only a boxing and shipping agent...they do no transfer paperwork. Talk to your local FFL, recognizing that he has to put the pistol on his ATF "book" then transfer it to the other FFL, as I understand it....so it's not just shipping, there is paperwork and record keeping involved for him.

·
Vendor
Follow me on Instagram for upcoming for sale items, keyword TexasPatriotArms
1,456 Posts
Is $110 too high? Depends on the distance but also, FedEx requires you to ship handguns not just overnight but PRIORITY Overnight which is their most expensive service. That's probably why it was $110. I don't observe FedEx's rule, I ship 2nd day, don't tell them it's a handgun and just hand the pre-labeled box to them. I say "thank you" and leave. Haven't had a problem after hundreds of guns. It grates on me that the FedEx rule is supposedly so that guns don't sit around in a FedEx warehouse too long, yet they waive their rule for the large retailers.

Also, I don't know if that price included insurance but remember that insurance adds 1% to the cost which translates to $10 for every $1k. Some on this site will tell you that in the event of a claim you won't get reimbursed if your gun is stolen or damaged, unless you shipped it priority overnight. Perhaps. I take my chances and have saved thousands. You don't have to be an FFL to ship FedEx or UPS. UPS is finicky too, they don't let you ship firearms from a UPS Store, only a "Service Center" which is inconvenient for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What method does everyone use to ship guns they have sold here on the forum, and what's your cost, excluding ffl fees if you have any, for an average distance? FedEx just charged me $110 to ship overnight, which they say is mandatory for hand guns, from New Orleans to Denver. Thanks.

WP
Just shipped a shotgun from Denver to Alabama via FedEx ground, $22.85

·
Registered
164 Posts
Shipmygun doesnt have the best intro into how it works. The remaining question I have about the way it works is:

Do I drop off at the Shipping FFL all sealed up? I dont see how that can be since my FFL has to get the s/n off the gun to enter it into his book.

So if thats the case, then is the Shipping FFL responsible for securely wrapping up the gun to prevent scratches, placing in box securely in box with packing material so its not bouncing around inside the box, and making sure the copy of my D.L. didn't accidentally find its way out of the box? To me this is the most important part about shipping. ...making sure its wrapped up extra well so it arrives to the Buyer in great shape. Ive seen some real doozies shipped by an FFL. Trusting a busy FFL to finish this part of the process on am expensive gun Im selling would give me pause. But I guess if you select a good FFL this wont be a concern.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you use shipmygun.com, no ffl is involved on your end. They send the box and the label, you put the gun and a copy of your drivers license in the box, and ship it to an ffl they approve on the buyer’s end...and wait to see if all goes well. Takes some trust in the Bud’s system, which I have and others don’t.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.