shock buff -just DUMP it

Discussion in 'Wilson Combat' started by boatdoc, Sep 10, 2018.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    For the LAST Time, I had another shock buff caused problem. My new CQB would not load a round when I wa s slingshot it because the slide stop would not drop. empty magwell or full mag in the well..no go.

I almost sent it back for a repair. I decided to do a net search before contacting WC. one post stated he had this issue and removed the (pos) shock buff and the problem went away. Tried it.. gun is fine. NO MORE SHOCK BUFFS in my guns...ever.

just thought I would pass this info on . ya never know when it might be handy

good luck, happy ,safe shooting

rob

2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Welcome to the club Sir!

Kip, Raylan Givens and boatdoc like this.

3. tightloops

tightloops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I keep hearing these stories of shock buff issues, guess I’ve been lucky?
    Just out of curiosity, was your guide rod the one specifically designed for shock buff, are you using a conventional spring or flat?

boatdoc likes this.
  4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Never saw a need for them. Each gun I have purchased that came with one, I got rid of before shooting it. If the 45 recoil is too high for someone, the 38 Super or 9mm is there for them to take its place.
    I don't want anything that keeps me from being able to slingshot and I don't want anything that could potentially break up in the spring and on the guide rod and cause a critical malfunction.

Usp45ct, july19, boatdoc and 5 others like this.
  5. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    It’s only a matter of time.

Raylan Givens and boatdoc like this.
  6. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    conventional guide rod, worthless shock buff. this is the third time a shock buff has affected one of my guns and slide movement--and it will be the last. the gun shoot and functions perfectly now

Usp45ct likes this.
  7. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    wrong material and thickness for this product and not necessary IMHO

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  8. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    Never used one in any of my 1911's. In my opinion waste of money.

Usp45ct, boatdoc and WC145 like this.
  9. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    It sure does create passive income for the inventor though.

Dwe, duketbrd88, Kip and 6 others like this.
  10. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I bought a brand new, full custom gun with a shock buff installed. I'm reasonably sure the builder never tried to fire the gun with the buff in it because it wouldn't function. Like the OP, I almost sent it back but, after studying the gun a little while realized the buff was preventing the slide from cycling fully. Once removed the gun worked flawlessly.

Talking to the builder afterward, he said, "That just came with the guide rod kit so I put it in. You don't need it." I didn't bother asking if he ever tried to fire the gun with it. At that point, what difference did it make?

boatdoc likes this.
  11. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    TWF quoting H.R.C. at the end. Nice.

ronin11, july19, Mike Meints and 4 others like this.
  12. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Something else to separate the consumer from their money. And possibly separate a defensive shooter from their soul in the wrong moment of failure.

boatdoc, Kip and limbkiller like this.
  13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Shock buffers give snake oil a bad name

Dub, Dwe, Busa Dave and 7 others like this.
  14. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    No problems so far in any of my WCs for the range. I also don't carry any of them.

15. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Concur! An otherwise wonderful Colt XSE I purchased in used condition a while back came with not only one installed but a pack of extras. I removed the one from the gun and actually gave some of the extras to a fellow forum member (different forum) who wanted to try some. I’d read enough about them to not want to use them.

Dub and boatdoc like this.
  16. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    My shock buffs are in the same trash bin as my Nike gear.

Dub, unclebuck5, Usp45ct and 14 others like this.
  17. dimedog

dimedog Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    I acquired a used Baer not long ago that came with one installed!!
    And a package of extras! In Baer packaging!!!!!!!!
    Threw them all in the trash.

Dub and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  18. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    No issues with mine. Using them with the 10-8 guide rod in my Colt Rail Gun. May just be a placebo effect but it feels tighter/smoother with one then without. Regardless this is a range toy so I’m not too concerned.

19. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I have one in my PII and also in my EDC X9. Never have had a single issue and certainly check them every time they are field stripped. Don’t have them in any of my other guns. I am carrying my X9 at the moment and having a shock buff in it gives me no hesitation at all.

Dub, tightloops and boatdoc like this.
  20. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    If you use them and check them frequently, no problem. On the other hand, if they were needed, John Browning would have incorporated them in his design. I have received two "semi-custom" pistols with shot buffs in the pistol case. However, there were no shock buffs installed in the pistols. As Rob at Alchemy said, "it sure does create passive profits for the inventor".

Dub, boatdoc and HOTCHKIS like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted