Shockwave and Other 14 inch Barreled "Firearms"....Question About Them...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, May 15, 2019.

  1. Nalajr

    Nalajr Well-Known Member

    Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

    I am wanting to know about the Mossberg Shockwave, the Remington TAC-14 and TAC-13, and any others that I don't know about.

    As far as I can understand, these are classified as "firearms" by the BATFE and therefore are NOT NFA items despite having an NFA length barrel and OA Length.

    What I am curious about is whether an individual can make one of these on his own without using the NFA laws and tax stamp to do it. Lets stipulate that the individual uses every part that Remington or Mossberg uses on theirs, the exact model they use, cut the barrel to the exact length and then put a hand grip on it exactly like the ones on the factory models. Would the individual then be able to make his/her own SHOCKWAVE or TAC14 at home and it be classified exactly as they are when made by Remington or Mossberg? If not, why not? Did the BATFE carve out some kind of special exemption for manufacturers that allows them to make such a weapon and not have to have their customers send the required tax into the FEDS?

    I'm not planning on doing such a thing, I am just curious whether individuals can enjoy the same freedoms that corporations and manufacturers enjoy?

    What's your take on it? Can a citizen make his own Shockwave at home and not worry about anything? I don't think it's possible without paying the $200 tax and I wouldn't risk losing my ability to ever own and shoot a gun the rest of my life and going to prison to find out.
    I am curious what you all think about it though.

    Thanks and have a great week.
  2. pepe

    pepe Member

    Oct 30, 2014
    No you cannot do it your self legally. It has to leave the factory that way.

  3. grayghostforge

    grayghostforge Hit it while its hot

    May 17, 2017
    If you want a Tac-14 or similar, just buy one new. I've seen them on sale for $269 routinely. Go sell your old 870 for $150. You'll be money ahead & legal in the long run.
    Babboonbobo and SparkyAZ like this.
  4. azguy1911

    azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

    Oct 22, 2015
    No, not even close
    Babboonbobo, UBOATDOC and Harleyvato like this.
  5. Marc1911

    Marc1911 New Member

    May 1, 2019
    I'm not as strong on my Class 3 stuff as I used to be so take this with a grain of salt. Taking a firearm that left the factory as a shotgun and cutting down the barrel and stock to make a clone of a Shockwave etc. isn't possible because the receiver is already classified as a shotgun and ATF won't allow a change. You will have illegally manufactured a short barreled shotgun if you build one from a current shotgun.

    It probably could be done if you were able to purchase a Mossberg or Remington receiver before it has been manufactured as a shotgun (think AR-15 lower receiver) and then build a firearm that is a clone of the others. Problem is, neither Remington or Mossberg will sell you a receiver and even if they did, the cost to obtain parts and assemble a clone would be way more than what you would pay to just buy one.

    Building one yourself would also mean that the firearm dimensions exactly fit the definition set by ATF for a "firearm" and if you get it wrong you get to go to jail. This isn't an area you want to play around in unless you really know what you're doing.

    So if you can buy a Remington or Mossberg for around $300.00 why would you take the risk? Best to just buy one.
    WC145 likes this.
  6. Babboonbobo

    Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

    Nov 18, 2014
    Like previous advice, just buy one! Sometimes that grey area isn’t worth taking a chance. Remember, we as law abiding gun owners follow all the unconstitutional laws:bored:
  7. Nalajr

    Nalajr Well-Known Member

    Feb 17, 2015
    I’m NOT going to do anything like this. I was merely wondering why an individual couldn’t make one just exactly like what’s available from Mossberg and Remington.
    There’s no special paperwork involved, no tax stamps to pay, nothing to differentiate it from any other gun purchase.

    That’s why I asked. It’s confusing how they carved out an exception in the law to allow these without NFA requirements.

  8. JohnnyEgo

    JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

    May 17, 2017
    It's not impossible to do legally, just incredibly unlikely that you would be able to do it. The first issue is that it would have to be done on a 'virgin' receiver; that is, one that was never previously assembled into a shotgun. Once it has been initially assembled into a long arm, it is considered to always be a long arm (rifle, shotgun) in the eyes of the law. Which means you couldn't convert a Mossberg or Remington you already owned, nor buy a shotgun off the shelf and convert it, without following the NFA rules. And neither Mossberg or Remington are inclined to sell you a virgin receiver.

    But in theory, you could roll your own out of a billet, and if you followed all the other intricacies of precisely assembling it around the NFA regs like Mossberg and Remington did, to include a very specific overall length (OAL) greater than 26" to keep it out of the NFA registry while still having a sub 18" barrel (shotguns), it could be done. But by the time one added up the costs of doing all this, it's definitely cheaper to buy it from Remington or Mossberg, as well as leaving any legal risks to their well-funded lawyers.
  9. Bender

    Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

    Aug 15, 2011
    The manufacturers found a wordsmithing loophole and got this to work

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted