1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone uses or has used these? Do they work and save your frame from being beaten up? I've seen them advertised but don't know if it's a good idea or some type of voodoo stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision's website FAQ
Is the use of a shock buff recommended?

No. Using a shock buff shortens the stroke of the pistol and can lead to erratic ejection and malfunctions. I have found that with proper maintenance and regular recoil spring replacement intervals there is no substantial value to having a shock buff installed in ones pistol.

After reading that a few years ago I decided I didn't need to try one

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I'm with WWB. Never saw any harm without them, but tried them once because I read they'll prolong the life of the pistol. Thought, 'What can it hurt?' It came apart and jammed up my pistol in a match. I have a buddy that swears by them though, so I guess some like them. Just not for me!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,831 Posts
Shok buffs are problems waiting to happen and the hotter the ammo the faster they get chewed up and come apart. Spring your gun properly and you won't have any issues, even with .45 Super (which isn't all that hot at 28k psi max).

Reactions: tac45 and Kip

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,727 Posts
The only time I use them is in my older Colt GCNM that have the lightened slide. Other than that I won't use them. (My Wilson came with one, it's probably still there as well)

·
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that is kind of what I was thinking also, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. No one better to ask than the persons here, thanks everyone.

·
2,727 Posts
If you decide to try them, get the ones from Wilson. Inspect for tearing every time you clean or more often.

·
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you decide to try them, get the ones from Wilson. Inspect for tearing every time you clean or more often.
Yeh I think I'm just going to avoid them, as suggested basically a solution to a non existent problem.
Was curious though and I appreciate the answers.

·
Failed all therapy
3,154 Posts
Used them when they came in the gun. They get chewed up and can cause malfunctions. So, I don't use them any more, and remove them from any gun that comes with one.

Reactions: Kip

·
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen one in a gun, I guess that's why I was asking. I have not seen thousands or even hundreds of guns but you would think if this was a big issue I would have happened across one here or there.

·
Never Forget
9,119 Posts
I've never seen one in a gun, I guess that's why I was asking. I have not seen thousands or even hundreds of guns but you would think if this was a big issue I would have happened across one here or there.
As far as I know Wilson and some others put them in all of their 5 inch guns. You don't want to use one in a 1911 less than 5 inches. They will cause malfunctions in Commander, Pro, Officer, Compact, whatever the company wants to call them.

·
2,727 Posts
My first LB gun had one that came apart very quickly. Since then I mostly avoid them.

Reactions: Kip

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used them for thousands of rounds in my now retired compensated IPSC gun. Never had a problem, just replaced 'em when they started to look battered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts