Shoot them in the groin......

Discussion in 'Training' started by Dub, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    In the past month I’ve heard this passed off as “what I do” more than all the times I’ve heard it added together in my life.

WTH ?

I’m serious. Seeing it on forums, heard two recent callers on podcasted gun talk radio shows and tonight heard a coworker say it.

This strategy must be coming from something recent....YouTube expert ? That Yankee Marshall hack?

I must have missed it along the way.

Questioned coworker about his reasoning....he went on to explain how there are numerous arteries in the pelvic area that would prove lethal if shot.

He is also a hunter. I asked him how many pelvis kill shots he’s made on deer. Pretty much ended the discussion.

I’ve never been in a gunfight....I’ve been fortunate. Pray it never happens, but if it does....I’m shooting at center mass as primary target and then whatever is offered until the threat is stopped. Sure...cover may very well force secondary targets and I’d take them....pelvis, head, hand, arm, leg, foot.....anything.

I was just wondering where this recent trend of groin targeting began ?

Seems dangerous to pass up chest shots so you can aim at a smaller groin target.

Is this recent topic something you’ve noticed ?

Is it coming from some new gun training academy.....or just Elvis The Pelvis YouTube Gun Expert channel?

“Give up the big center mass and shoot ‘em in the dikk”...or some such .

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Shooting a person who's wearing body armor in the pelvic girdle has been a thing for at least the the last 30 or 40 years as far as I know.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    You're surprised by strange stuff these days? ;)

Tom Corbett42, Rizzo, FWoo45 and 5 others like this.
  4. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

Makes perfect sense in that scenario. Center mass is behind cover....taking the targets offered. :thumbs:

Some of these people made it seem like it was their go-to spot.

“Gets my badguy target hung up at 15 yards...draw my gat....and mag dump on his zipper”......or at least that’s how it played out in my head thinking of their range sessions.

Hell, it’ll be easier on my toasted right shoulder not to come up as high in a target....should be quicker, too.

I’ll see if I can work it into my next range session. Call it the Bobbit & Kerrigan Drill. Takes out their junk and their knees.

Just gotta get some life sized targets printed out....

Good point.

Nothing should be surprising at this stage.

Our culture has reached a new low point. Maybe I’m a dikk-shooter and don’t even know it. :p

5. Stromburg

Stromburg Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Clint says shoot em in the crotch:)

6. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Only one problem, shoot them in the crotch and they survive, you may well get sued. Win or lose, lawyers cost to much.

7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I say it’s FEMINISTS!

rmac, Kip, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Back in the early 1980's we were taught that a controlled pair low in the abdomen would generate enough hydrostatic shock to stop the heart. Those were the days of .38 Special's loaded just below +P levels, and Model 10's, Security Six's, and Police Positive's. Then came the wunder nine's.

crcornish, FWoo45, Dub and 1 other person like this.
  9. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I think you gotta take the shot that presents itself.

However, bust a pelvis or hip, they are down. Tear the femoral arteries they bleed out in a minute or so.

Watch the video from years ago, I can’t recall where it was, but the bad guys wore armor. It took a lot to bring them down. The only good aiming points were head, arms, legs, and hips. I haven’t seen it in years to remember all of it, but it went south early because of that armor.

Shotgun training dictates when feet are visible behind cars or barricades to shoot low and skitter the pellets into the feet and ankles to put them down.

FWoo45, SCS1911, Cimarronkid and 5 others like this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Strange, we carried 38 spls were riding SAR (backup for the rifles we carried). Mine always had +Ps in them.
    With a handgun, it's the Mozambique. It's why I still practice it.

Dub likes this.
  11. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Clint Smith video made me laugh out LOUD at 6 in the morning!!!!!

12. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    It is not actually a bad idea to condition yourself to shoot low because shooters under stress in a real situation tend to look over their sights to see the target and shoot high, esp. in low light.

Uncle Bob and random84 like this.
  13. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

Clint Smith videos always have that impact on me.....laughing & pumping my fist. His enthusiasm for surviving any & every curveball thrown his way is infectious.

Great stuff !!!

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    +1

FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  15. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I was taught to shoot the pelvic girdle under 2 conditions:
    1. You're at contact distance and you have to shoot from retention.
    2. They're wearing body armor.
    The rationale I was given was that a pelvic girdle shot, when properly executed, will collapse the hip bone and immobilize your attacker. Once they're down, you can go for a head shot or whatever is appropriate for the situation.

It's an easy shot to make when shooting from retention. (And your attacker is already close enough to strike you or grab your weapon.)

It's an easier shot to make than the head when the attacker is wearing a chest plate. (You can go for head once they're down.)

I'm not an expert. Just echoing what I was told. Caveat Emptor.

colrhino, crcornish, FWoo45 and 7 others like this.
  16. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I love Clint.

colrhino, FWoo45, Dub and 2 others like this.
  17. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I just finished DH1 yesterday at Thunder Ranch. Ran many drills 2 to the center, 2 to the pelvis, 1 or 2 to the head in various orders.

18. henryt

henryt Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Your not shooting a gun... Your shooting a ventilator... LOL

19. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Looked out the window onto the range where an elementary CCW class was being held.
    Targeting was one to center of mass, one each to what would be hip joints on an anatomically correct target.

Me? Maybe I have shot too many Mozambiques in IPSC, IDPA, and USPSA; but my reflexes would likely put the third shot between the eyes.

Dub and Cimarronkid like this.
  20. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Come on @Dub you questioning if I shoot your left nut off that it won’t stop the fight???

As others have said I’ve heard / seen in classes shooting the pelvic girdle when someone is wearing body armor, I’ve been told also about the technique of shooting a 12 gauge low so the bearings bounce and hit. All of the classes where this came up this was the only option and when the BG is down you follow up as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted