Shooters Log

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mudgun, Dec 29, 2018.

1. mudgun

mudgun Active Member Supporting Addict

Dec 10, 2018
    How many of you keep a record of range trips? Does it include type of ammo, round count, other comments for each weapon, or just the "special" ones? Just wondering what your thoughts are. I've never kept one, wondered if I should.

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I keep a log/spreadsheet for each weapon, with round count by date, primarily for spring change purposes. Also have a reloading log, and a reloading component inventory.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Spreadsheet here too, with round-counts by gun and by date. As noted above, helps me keep up with spring changes. I also make any notes about stoppages if they occur.

BennyAdeline likes this.
  4. mudgun

mudgun Active Member Supporting Addict

Dec 10, 2018
    Your tracking more than I thought. That's good info to be able to go back and check.
    Thanks for the quick responses.

BennyAdeline and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  5. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    I keep a spreadsheet with multiple tabs. One tab called "Rounds fired" lists date and rounds shot - and includes a section for notes. It also subtracts the rounds shot from my "Ammo on hand" tab. FYI - My rounds shot tab is sectioned off by caliber. Lmao yes... I'm a little OCD but at any time I can tell you how many rounds each gun has shot, how much ammo I have, and how much money I've spent (I've considered deleting that tab hahahaha)
    Screenshot_20181229-180437_Excel.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    I forgot to mention - for each gun, I’ve also noted the purchase month / year / source, like “Sep 2018 - 1911 Addicts” for a gun I purchased from our Classifieds. Just to help me keep track and to make mention of in the occasional range report, etc. that I may post here or elsewhere.

dash, BennyAdeline and Addicted2gunz like this.
  7. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Pretty much just for fighting guns to track round counts, spring wear, and malfs

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  8. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Yes. Logs, notes and spreadsheet. Over time you get some good data and memories.

BennyAdeline and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  9. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Seeing this...you just may be my brother from another mother LOL!

Addicted2gunz and BennyAdeline like this.
  10. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    HAHA sounds like yours is similar to mine. I log every purchase and sale, including name, address, price, where I shipped it or where we met for exchange, etc lol

WhoIsJohnGalt? and BennyAdeline like this.
  11. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Lol we were posting at the same time!

12. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Heck no, I shoot to forget about spreadsheets and databases

13. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I keep a photo log/with notes of what I was practicing ( based on my goals for that day ).../ ...and since I am usually shooting my carry/competition gun it also gives me a ballpark round count. Put a date on target, etc ...keep it simple.

As an example on Thurs...I ran 3 basic fundamental drills...shots are center chest to a full sized silhouette target ( I use the ICE Qual target )...and I stayed at 7 Yds. I had 2 primary goals ...work on my grip and draw from holster and firing 2 shots ..../ then work on basic speed reload skills - position of gun, good proper finger/palm grip - on each mag I was changing, all that little stuff...( prior week's buddy match my reload drills were sloppy / and I tend to be a little slow out of holster,so when firing less than 3 rounds, I need to push myself - but if I rush, my grip is all over the place and scores go down...( building muscle memory).

Draw from Holster..and fire 2 Rds ...( 2.3 sec Max ) 60 rds

Draw From Holster ... and fire 4 - Speed Reload Fire 4 ( 7.3 Sec max time ) 96 rds

Draw from Holster ..Fire 3 - Speed Reload Fire 4 - Speed Reload Fire 5 ... ( 11.4 Sec max )... / But after I loaded all 3 mags, I mixed them up, closed my eyes and put one in gun, and 2 on belt ...so I didn't know where the 3 rd mag was vs 4 or 5 rd mag...( less predictable - keeps me from anticipating and counting ). 96 Rds

I score my target per ICE qual standards center chest...then next zone is -1, next -2, next -3 outside silhouette / any shot fired over the max time, I deduct another point.

When I'm done, I take a photo of target, put red circles around misses - make a note of score.../ I can keep that photo in an album on my phone ...for my reference. So its a log...but really easy to keep.

My primary gun is a 5" 1911 in 9mm ...and I use my own reloads / 115 gr FMJ bullet and its to the same recipe all the time. I keep reload logs separately in a spread sheet ( by caliber / mark boxes in inventory, etc.. ).
    -------------
    In my practice session - no pressure from my buddies shooting against me...but I missed 3 shots out of the 250 shots / no overtimes / all misses were in -1 zone..so about 99% and I can live with that any day ! Good day ...I got in a groove and it went well...( that doesn't happen every day ...trust me )...

Addicted2gunz and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  14. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    I won't lie, my first thought when I saw the thread title was Star Trek:

(said in a William Shatner voice)
    Shooters Log, range date 29 December Two Zero One Eight

:):):):)

On a more serious note. I tend to keep records and data on new or new-to-me firearms up to around the 500 round mark.

mudgun and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  15. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
  16. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    BB9D47F6-F16E-42AC-83C4-EEA82D9E0014.jpeg

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  17. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I just have a little notebook and I include the date, time, the gun, the number of mags, rounds and ammo used. I honestly haven't had a FTF or FTE in years so it more out of habit and spring change intervals more than anything

18. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    What is really pathetic is that I built my reloading component inventory sheet in Nov of 2013 when I bought a RCBS single stage press. All I had was the press/dies/scale. Wasn't able to put any primers on the sheet until April 12 of 2014 and no powder or bullets until May 4 of 2014. First entry on my reloading log was May 5 of 2014. Looking at them as of todays date, very comforting...

gps man and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  19. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I keep track of every round and type of ammo. I just make a quick note in my phone.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Addicted2gunz like this.
  20. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I do keep a round count on an excel spreadsheet. Rounds fired, malfunctions, parts replacement, and maintenance.

A gun is a machine no different than a car. Maintain it or run it till it quits.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Addicted2gunz like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted