Shooting competition

Discussion in 'Training' started by Don Locke, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Don Locke

Don Locke Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Don’t know if this is the right place for this, if not feel free to move. I’m an old guy (76 ),have never done any competition shooting, just want to try, are there competitions that novices can compete in, just want to do it for the fun, not interested in 3 gun, don’t know what’s available.Thanks. Oh, i’m in the DFW Texas area.

Rizzo likes this.
  2. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Don, why not try speed on steel

Start hands up, gun holstered, loaded and safe — timer goes off, draw and engange 5 steel targets as fast as you can — 30 seconds max time, unlimited round count but 1 round per target is ideal

You shoot 5 strings per stage — minimum of 25 rounds per stage — usually 5 or 6 stages per match

No movement, shoot from a designated position — .22 rimfire all the way up to the magnum cartridges also pistol caliber carbines if you choose

Lots of no pressure fun, very “old guy” friendly — I’m in NJ, my local club runs 2 steel matches a month — always a good time

3. Don Locke

Aug 24, 2018

4. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I second steel matches. Tons of fun and very low pressure. Plenty of interesting firearms too, you get guys running red dots competing against guys with revolvers.

My local club does them once a month, I wish they did them more often.

5. Don Locke

Aug 24, 2018
    What type of club should i look for?

6. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    For regulation Steel Challenge, see the club finder at
    https://scsa.org/find-a-club?

For homebrew shoots, it will have to be word of mouth.
    Maybe a regional range website or Facebook group.

P.S. I am 75 and shoot SCSA, USPSA, IDPA, and a bit of local stuff with no national affiliation.

gps man likes this.
  7. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    My criteria: local ranges that typically require an annual membership and a current member to sponsor you before you even get past the gate.

If you shoot enough, the annual membership is more than worth it. Getting a sponsor is usually as easy as just reaching out to someone on their website or showing up to one of their meets.

8. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Don go to this website listed below. There you can find any and all competitions in your area. Sign up as well since almost all competitions the registration is handled through them (practiscore).
    As for novice, any and all are welcome at most shoots. It is important to have the proper equipment such as a holster that covers the trigger. When and if you sign up for a shoot you will pick the class that you want to shoot in. And last, safety. 180 rule, finger off trigger when moving and reloading, etc or you WILL be disqualified if you or anyone breaks a safety rule. And should you be, as it does happen, learn from it, don't get discouraged! I'm 65 and have shot over 15 competitions this year with another one this coming Saturday. Great FUN and great people. Go for it!
    https://practiscore.com/

Here are a couple of vids to get you excited about this.
    This is my fiance' shooting a Sig MPX 9mm at a super steel match. This was her 2nd time ever at a match!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYs2L6Cvn1IwzAQzdKRDHTm-Uun3GzD4/view?usp=sharing

This is one stage run reverse at the USPSA VA State this year, single stack for me 45.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BcrM_h92-j8lQH9i7hq8VnqbJak3uAg2/view?usp=sharing

And a 2 gun match I ran a few weeks ago. The long AR target was 489y.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GgAgGojlwJp9Y1TUyon3Bs6QCfZ3NNVH/view?usp=sharing

Don Locke, River runner and 2tone like this.
  9. Don Locke

Aug 24, 2018

10. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm 73 and have been shooting competition since 1957!

Look for local clubs that have weekly "outlaw" matches. These usually mimic sanctioned matches but with fewer rules and classifications.

I shoot USPSA Super Senior Single Stack and Revolver! Most matches usually have few shooters in this class. Shoot a stage, take a swig of "Geritol" waddle to the nest stage and repeat! :)

At our local club matches we allow "over 65" shooters to shoot any class with red dots without penalty! Makes for interesting results when the 70 year old "experienced" shooters finish 1, 2, 3 at most matches!

Smiles,

gps man and 2tone like this.
  11. johnmyster

johnmyster Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 4, 2020
    Our local ranges do USPA-type matches on a monthly basis. We try to keep it beginner and defensive concealed carry friendly. Simple scenarios, scoring is loose, and good practice for having cleaner runs. Usually four stages. No divisions, so it's not a class-by-class equipment race. Bring whatever platform you want to get some practice on.

Maybe you can find something of the sort in your area.

12. Columbia

Columbia Active Member

Oct 9, 2020
    I have an older friend that shoots ASI. I’m not sure what it stands for but I went to a match with him one time and it was pretty fun! It was like a no-pressure USPSA match. Super relaxed, simple stages. Shoot whatever gun you want. Can’t remember how they scored. Tons of older folks too, I was the youngest at least at that match by a fair margin.

Don Locke likes this.
  13. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Action Shooting International. A simplified IDPA, several ranges in the PNW but not spreading out very far.

14. olds442guy

olds442guy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Hi Don, I am also in the DFW area and am relatively active in the handgun shooting sports here. There are a number of great options, all of which are beginner friendly. The best recommendation, in my opinion, is USPSA. In addition to that, there are other options in the area as well (IDPA, Steel Challenge, various “outlaw” matches).

I’d be more than happy to help you get started in the game. It can seem daunting at first, but it is very welcoming of new competitors regardless of age, skill, level of desired participation, etc. Please reach out if you’d like!

As an example, below is a recent USPSA match I shot with a 1911 in Single Stack division at M160 range (in Whitewright) put on by Collin County USPSA.

Mike0251, Don Locke and Mike Meints like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted