1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some good feedback for a new set of shooting glasses. Optical clarity, no distortion is on the top of my list. Everything else behind that. RX not needed. Considering Oakley M-Frames. Reports? Thank you!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I used Oakley M frames for a long time. I used Ballistic M frame 2.0 with polarized lens and clear lens while I was overseas. They work perfect, take a beating, and are as clear as it gets. After coming home, I used Ballistic M frame 3.0 with polarized lens for awhile. Equally clear. I think the M frame 3.0 is the better frame. The arms are thinner for use with ear muffs. They don't break the seal, and keep the noise out. However the 2.0 lens fits the contour of my facial and cheek bones more. I ran 2.0 lenses in my 3.0 frame for awhile. While the 2.0 lens were scratched (really abused) the better fit was more important than clarity for me at the time.

I have a pair of Oakley Half-Jackets with prescription lenses that I often use now. I can't recommend Oakley high enough for good shooting glasses. While I don't have a pair of Ballistic M Frames anymore, I would use them again in a heartbeat for any shooting scenario. Oakley standard issue is the go to place for best pricing. Must be Veteran/Leo/first responder/military/other to get that pricing. You likely qualify or know someone who does and can help you out.

Many friends who are in the service have preferred Wiley-X or ESS as their eyepro of choice. The only reason I didn't choose those, was because of how well Oakley's fit my face and because I knew they had an incredible track record. They might also be worthy of a look. I can't speak to their clarity.

-Cory

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I currently use Wiley-X Censor. Have gone through a few pair over the years and really like them. I have the polarized version and wear them daily. The lens are replaceable. Great fit and are anti-slip in my experiences. Also used their strap versions when I was gainfully employed. Resolution is excellent.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I grew up wearing Decot glasses for shooting. But they are range only. I only wear polarized Oakleys now. The frame on Oakleys can obstruct your view if you really bury your cheek on the stock of a rifle or shotgun but for hand guns or heads up shooting I love my Oakleys. I also am around water cleaning pools in the Az sun every day.

These have me intrigued. I tried on a par at the Oakley store but haven't thrown down the cash yet.

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/tombstone-trade-/category/m0203009

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like the Wiley-X Saber and use the elastic arms (comes with it) so that the fit under my hearing protection is closer.

Also, now that I need an RX, I use the RX insert which works fairly well.

Other upside is that they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use these three primarily for shooting (Oakley Flak 2.0, Wiley X Vapor, Rudy Genetyk). At my outdoor range, the Rudy and Oakleys are a toss up in vision quality. Also, my Oakleys are polarized and the Rudys are not. When I shoot steel I always wear the Wiley Vapors since they are my only ballistic rated glasses. The Rudy Genetyks are the most comfortable with adjustments on both stems and nose piece. As others have mentioned, ESS would be worth looking into.

·
Plank Cranker
87 Posts
I used M-Frames for a very long time in shotgun sports. I like the fact that there is no lower frame to get in the way of your vision. However, I went through a BUNCH of the original folding M-Frames, enough that Oakley sent me the "Pro" solid frames on one return. Those lasted for a long time until a POS stole them from my truck one night.

After trying Tifosi (junk), I bought into the Rudy Project bandwagon and bought a set of Genetyks with 4 lenses. The Rudy's are OK. Not as comfortable as the Oakleys. Also, every one of the Rudy lenses has developd a small crack over the nosepiece.

I've now purchased another set of Oakleys, these are Radar EV's. And I saw the Ballistic M frame 3.0 in a local shop a couple weekends ago - I think there will be more Oakley's in my future. Great clarity, great selection of lenses (lens color can really help in some situations).

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
Does anyone know of a company offering shooting glasses with reading glasses magnifications, not as Rx?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I've got quite the collection of sunglasses including the Oakley M-frames and the Flak Jacket XLJ's . I regularly wear both on the job and the XLJ's were heavily scratched after 3 years. I found some Fuse replacement lenses made by Zeiss which are ANSI rated and I think I like them better than the Oakley lens. My favorite lens for optical clarity isn't ANSI rated but I've got a pair of Costa Del Mars with the 580G lens and the rest of my sunglasses take a backseat to the Costas in terms of great glass. It's sort of like I wish I had bought a Wilson first and I probably wouldn't have all of those Kimbers!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"It's sort of like I wish I had bought a Wilson first and I probably wouldn't have all of those Kimbers!" Maybe it was the glasses? Just kidding!
Thank you all for responding. I am reading all the comments. Have not made the purchase yet but the M's are leading the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts