close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting to the Left?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jst1tym, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I've since corrected this issue however, I'd like to know what you think is the cause of this, shooting to the left of dead center (X-Ring) and how would you correct it? The reason I'm asking is that it seems that there are a couple of reasons for this problem, and a couple of corrections. Whats your take on this issue?

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Pushing the trigger... Then when you try to correct it you pull it low by squeezing with the hand rather than the finger.. Thus the low-left.. Seems to be what I do anyhow.. Easy enough to correct on first or slow paced shots. Not so easy to correct during volley fire.. 8( Ron

3. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    1.The subconscious mind overrides the conscious mind and reacts with a defense reaction to the kick and report. The conscious mind has to gain control and deny the reaction. This is achieved by conditioning the subconscious over time much like training a cavalry horse not to bolt at the sound of gunfire. Breaking a shot as slowly as possible, so the moment of ignition is unknown can "fool" the subconscious by not allowing enough time for it to react with a flinch/jerk as a starting point can shrink group size. If I'm frazzled and wired up I start with a few rounds as slow as possible until I regain control over this primal reflex.

2. You need ta drift yer sight with a mallet.

EDIT: A shooter who doesn't realize, won't accept the fact, or wants to confirm that they JERK, can be shown by placing a dummy round in the mag or cylinder without their knowing. When the hammer drops on the dummy round and the barrel jerks low, you simply say, "AHHHH HA!" and they can take the first steps of recovery. This keeps shooters from filing their front sight down to nub.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    LOL.. I adjust mine as well. After spending 45 years trying to shoot it down the pipe, I now do it a little differently...

I sight it in using a rest as close as I can, then drift to where I'm shooting freehand. I figure that if I couldn't compensate after 45 years, odds are I won't make it in the time I have left... LOL... Ron

5. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I found that by having my triggers done to about 3.5# I've pretty much eliminated the low and left. I found that for me, when the trigger was around 5# the anticipation of the trigger break was causing me to drop the muzzle. That and the too much finger on the trigger were my issues.

claire

6. Hurricanes

Hurricanes Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I shoot low(and a bit to the left) as well. There have been times that I have not released the trigger enough to reset, and when attempting the next shot(without the BANG!) I notice the gun jerking downwards.
    -Joel

7. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    I have been working on the low left ( more left then low too) and it is getting better. It is amazing when the the shot breaks and you say god damm look at that BULLSEYE, ya know what I mean. I will tell you that shooting at paper gets pretty darn boring.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That's the deal.. Ron

9. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    aim right :lol:

10. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Ron, you hit the nail on the head, exactly what I found myself doing, pushing the trigger. I corrected myself by retraining myself to pull the trigger straight back towards the center of the backstrap. Problem solved for me, but I did have the help of a book by Charles Stephens to help diagnose my shooting. I shot left all mostly within an area from about 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock area.

claire, never thought about the trigger pull weight! Interesting, thanks..

earlsbud, I did exactly that when I first bought a mod-29 S&W because of the recoil. I used to leave two bullets out of the cylinder...what a flinch!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Many shooters NEED a short trigger and do not realize it.

12. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    For a right-handed shooter, if you're left of the bulls-eye - and by that, I mean DEAD left, a pure horizontal displacement with no vertical component whatsoever, it's probably a trigger finger placement issue.

I actually experienced this a few range-trips back: I couldn't figure it out, right then and there, and was really getting kinda frustrated, as I'd just been *drilling* the bulls-eye for about a half-hour prior. It was my good fortune that one of the range guys came over and sidled up next to me, and said: "Hey, Al, what's up with that, huh?" I just looked at him and shook my head.

I'm a new shooter, so he had me run through the entire setup - stance, grip, everything - over the span of maybe 10 seconds or so. He watched me take two shots, all to the same effect, and then he simply said: "Why don't you try giving it a little less trigger finger?"

That fixed it, instantly. :smile:

13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The old "ball and dummy" drill goes a long way. Highly recommended. :thumb:

Andy

14. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    I had rounds hitting in the area of 8-10 o'clock, but since have corrected it a bit, but haven't been to the range in some time. Allen, when you say "less trigger finger" do you mean moving the trigger out towards the tip of the finger? Thanks.

15. Pappy

Pappy New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Bench rest it.....to eliminate human error...it may be just a case of adjusting the sights.....

16. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ +1.

-----

One thing I didn't know just a couple of months ago was that a flinch can either recur or be a first-time presentation for any shooter, of any skill level, at virtually any time.

I haven't had a problem, yet, but after learning of that from a more experienced shooter's troubleshooting of another experienced shooter's all-of-a-sudden problem, I now know. :thumb:

^ :oops: I apologize if that's not the correct wording (if that's not right, please, someone, correct me!!!) - but yes, that's what I took his statement to mean, and that's indeed what I did.

17. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Good point. I use a long trigger and have for years. I center the tip of my finger where the bone ends because there are more nerve endings there than ANYWHERE in the human body. (That's what I was told anyway.) It works fine but lately I wonder if the medium trigger would work better. Swollen and mildly arthritic hands can have an effect, specially if the long trigger is a maximum length to begin with for my short fingers.

18. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. It helped me anyway.

19. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    From a Wilson Combat newsletter that i just got today:

20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    If you wear a Wilson glove you'll want an open trigger guard as well... ;) Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted