Shop Project pics

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ontarget1911, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    lkjnln

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    If your trying to go old school, maybe pick one texture technic and stick with it through the build. So many young smiths today are trying to cover every flat surface with a number of different textures that in the end there is no continuity to the final piece. Kinda like mixing plaid, paisley and stripes. Skip over the Heirloom and look at some guns by Jason or Ted, or look at Chuck Rogers work. They try to carry one treatment, although sometimes subtle throughout the build.
    Too much of anything can be a killer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

3. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  4. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    mnm n

5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't understand the checkering the back of the slide either. Are you really going to put your hand or any digits up there? Is there any explanation someone could offer? I'm not saying it's stupid to do it, I just wondered why it's done. I also feel the same way about cocking serrations, front or back. I can grip my gun without them at the range, but I understand why they are there. I'd like to see someone go against the grain and make a 1911 without them, just a nice flat side on the slide. I bet I get called crazy for that!:biggrin1:

6. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    OK sounded like a newbie question, saw that was your handle.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    the rear checkering is there for two reasons: 1) reduce glare (similar to the checkering on the back of sights, and 2) for better grip to push the slide back into battery (if it fails to go fully into battery).

8. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Justy my opinion.. if you're going old school... get the finish off, drop the grips, and go old school blued. No stippling, just checkering & serrations... finish with a nice polish blued.

9. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    lkmnlmn

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted