1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of the benefits of being in LE for a long time is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - LEOSA. If you're not familiar with it, the gist of LEOSA is that it allows active sworn LEOs and and qualified retired/separated LEOs that were on the job for at least 10 years to carry concealed in any state or US territory, in accordance with the laws of that state or territory. Part of the requirements to be certified under LEOSA is annual firearms qualification that meets the criteria set by your state of residence. Here in Maine the Maine Criminal Justice Academy is the clearing house for all things LE including training and qualifications so all LEOs here must shoot the same courses of fire. We have the LE pistol course of fire and the 'plain clothes' pistol course of fire, the first is for regular uniform carry type pistols and is shot at distances from 3yds to 25yds and the second is geared towards smaller pistols and is shot from 3yds to 18yds. Both are 50rds and must be shot twice, back to back, scoring a minimum of 80% hits each time on an FBI style 'Q' target. They're not particularly difficult courses of fire but compared to some other states they are pretty challenging.

Today I shot the plain clothes course of fire because I was tagging along with a couple of deputies that are process servers from our local Sheriff's Office and that's what their jobs required. For LEOSA it doesn't matter, either course of fire is acceptable and which one I shoot depends on who I'm shooting with, sometimes I shoot with uniformed deputies and we do the duty weapon course, they stick me in wherever there's an open lane. It was a good day for shooting, though chilly, it was a bit ovecast and in the high 20s this morning, no wind, though, so it wasn't too uncomfortable. I used my Custom Shop built Series 70 repro, it functioned perfectly and is an easy gun to shoot accurately. Naturally, every time you get cops together to shoot there it is an unspoken competition going on and the Colt was up to the task, I was faster than the other guys and scored 100% so I won bragging rights for the day and got to give them sh!t for being out shot by the retiree. It was nice to spend some time with guys I don't see very often that are still on the job shooting, drinking coffee, talking shop and guns, which is probably the biggest benefit LEOSA offers guys like me that don't travel much.

Since no post is complete without pics, here's the Colt and my targets and below them is the description of the course of fire for anyone that is interested.

Maine Criminal Justice Academy
Plain Clothes Course of Fire - 50 Rounds

Shooter Proficiency = 40 hits total (80%) back to back.
Instructor Proficiency = 45 hits total (90%) back to back.

Total
Distance Activity Time Rounds

3 Yard 6 Rounds total - from holster
1 round standing 2 second
2 rounds standing 3 seconds
3 rounds standing 3 seconds 6 rounds

5 Yard 9 Rounds Total – from Holster
Failure Drill = (2 to the chest and 1 to the head)
2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 seconds
3 rounds, failure drill, pulse fire 3 seconds 9 rounds

7 Yard 9 Rounds Total – from Holster
On the whistle, take one lateral side step and fir

2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 4 Seconds
2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 4 Seconds
2 rounds standing, pulse fire, center mass 4 Seconds 3 rounds, failure drill, pulse fire 3 seconds 9 rounds

10 yard 6 Rounds Total - Ready Gun
3 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds
3 rounds, kneeling, failure drill 4 seconds 6 rounds

12 yard 4 Rounds Total - Ready Gun
2 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds
2 rounds, standing, pulse fire, center mass 3 Seconds 4 rounds

15 yard 4 Rounds Total – Ready Gun – Barricade
2 rounds standing, over barricade
2 rounds kneeling, strong side barricade 10 seconds 4 rounds

18 yard 6 Rounds Total – Ready Gun - Barricade
From the 25 yard line draw the weapon and safely
move to the barricade at the 18 yard line.
2 rounds standing, over barricade
2 rounds kneeling right side barricade
2 rounds kneeling left side barricade 15 seconds 6 rounds

18 yard 6 Rounds Total – Center Mass - Ready Gun – Move and Shoot
All weapons should have at least 6 rounds for this drill

Approach Target on Command – Low Ready

Threat Command - High Ready and Verbalize ID and Command.

Fire Command – 3 shots center mass

Stop, Dress Line and Command to Back-Up – Low Ready

Threat Command – High Ready and Verbalize

Fire Command – 3 shots center mass (No Time) 6 rounds

Dress Line and Command to Back-Up – Ready Gun

Shooters should be empty. Make line safe. 50 Rounds

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,142 Posts
So, one of the benefits of being in LE for a long time is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - LEOSA. If you're not familiar with it, the gist of LEOSA is that it allows active sworn LEOs and and qualified retired/separated LEOs that were on the job for at least 10 years to carry concealed in any state or US territory, in accordance with the laws of that state or territory. Part of the requirements to be certified under LEOSA is annual firearms qualification that meets the criteria set by your state of residence. Here in Maine the Maine Criminal Justice Academy is the clearing house for all things LE including training and qualifications so all LEOs here must shoot the same courses of fire. We have the LE pistol course of fire and the 'plain clothes' pistol course of fire, the first is for regular uniform carry type pistols and is shot at distances from 3yds to 25yds and the second is geared towards smaller pistols and is shot from 3yds to 18yds. Both are 50rds and must be shot twice, back to back, scoring a minimum of 80% hits each time on an FBI style 'Q' target. They're not particularly difficult courses of fire but compared to some other states they are pretty challenging.

Today I shot the plain clothes course of fire because I was tagging along with a couple of deputies that are process servers from our local Sheriff's Office and that's what their jobs required. For LEOSA it doesn't matter, either course of fire is acceptable and which one I shoot depends on who I'm shooting with, sometimes I shoot with uniformed deputies and we do the duty weapon course, they stick me in wherever there's an open lane. It was a good day for shooting, though chilly, it was a bit ovecast and in the high 20s this morning, no wind, though, so it wasn't too uncomfortable. I used my Custom Shop built Series 70 repro, it functioned perfectly and is an easy gun to shoot accurately. Naturally, every time you get cops together to shoot there it is an unspoken competition going on and the Colt was up to the task, I was faster than the other guys and scored 100% so I won bragging rights for the day and got to give them sh!t for being out shot by the retiree. It was nice to spend some time with guys I don't see very often that are still on the job shooting, drinking coffee, talking shop and guns, which is probably the biggest benefit LEOSA offers guys like me that don't travel much.

Since no post is complete without pics, here's the Colt and my targets and below them is the description of the course of fire for anyone that is interested.
View attachment 668764
View attachment 668763
View attachment 668762

That’s a great course of fire. The SO I am retired from has a retiree range day in the spring, BBQ and catching up along with the annual qualifications. I am sure some of our LEOSA qualified retirees would have issues with your course of fire. Beautiful pistol also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a great course of fire. The SO I am retired from has a retiree range day in the spring, BBQ and catching up along with the annual qualifications. I am sure some of our LEOSA qualified retirees would have issues with your course of fire. Beautiful pistol also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you haven't seen them you might enjoy this guy's videos. He's a cop and among other stuff he has put up videos of him shooting the qual courses from many different states and agencies, including Maine..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Always interesting to see how other States qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
I try to do mine twice a year as there is a definite expiration date. Then if something comes up that I can’t get mine in prior to the expiration I can call in to the department and get a new card good for six more months.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I did 40 and the only thing I miss besides the guys and girls I worked with is running the firearms program for our department. Still go in and help out with qualifications and training and that makes it easy for me to get at least one extra qual in a year.

Retirement is great by the way, you’ll love it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
A few years ago I qualified with a few SWAT guys here in Arizona. The shooting part wasn't bad but the push-ups and running was pretty intense. At least the instructor didn't make me wear that flack jacket like bullet proof vest and the chest rig like the rest of the guys. I got to qualify with the AR-15 and Remington 870 also. When I got home my wife was like "why are you all dirty and sweaty". It was a good time had by all.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: awmp

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,221 Posts
Thank you for the that write up.
Nice shooting as well as the Colt.

How many of the others if any shot the course with a 1911?

Reactions: 1L26

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you for the that write up.
Nice shooting as well as the Colt.

How many of the others if any shot the course with a 1911?
Thanks. The guys I shot with today did not shoot 1911s but there are deputies, including one of the red hats, that carry them. About 12 or 13 years ago the dept actually switched from issuing G21s to Kimber 1911s for the full time guys. They have since switched back to issuing Glocks but several deputies stuck with the 1911s.

·
Premium Member
5,996 Posts
A few years ago I qualified with a few SWAT guys here in Arizona. The shooting part wasn't bad but the push-ups and running was pretty intense. At least the instructor didn't make me wear that flack jacket like bullet proof vest and the chest rig like the rest of the guys. I got to qualify with the AR-15 and Remington 870 also. When I got home my wife was like "why are you all dirty and sweaty". It was a good time had by all.
Working with the LASD SEB Team is pretty much the same when they were stationed at Wayside Honor Ranch.

·
Get off my lawn...
15,095 Posts
Excellent WC145! Thanks for sharing with us!

By the way, that’s a Beautiful Pony!!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I've been retired for 5 years and qualify for LEOSA every year. The down side is my former agency requires you qualify with what you're going to carry. This last July I qualified with my 1911 in 10mm, Glock 30S and a CZ P01. Kind of a PITA to haul everything out to the range but it is what it is...

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been retired for 5 years and qualify for LEOSA every year. The down side is my former agency requires you qualify with what you're going to carry. This last July I qualified with my 1911 in 10mm, Glock 30S and a CZ P01. Kind of a PITA to haul everything out to the range but it is what it is...
Our forms are specific to the gun you're qualifying with but when the state sends the qual card it just has your name, certification and expiration dates and a certification number, nothing about guns.

Reactions: Samurai Jack

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Our forms are specific to the gun you're qualifying with but when the state sends the qual card it just has your name, certification and expiration dates and a certification number, nothing about guns.

Mine doesn't either. What my agency is trying to accomplish is that they can say he/she qualified with this gun or that gun and if one was to use a different gun and do something where the lawsuits happen they "may" have an easier time distancing themselves from any legal action... It's B.S. I know but it their game in their arena.

Reactions: WC145

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,142 Posts
Mine doesn't either. What my agency is trying to accomplish is that they can say he/she qualified with this gun or that gun and if one was to use a different gun and do something where the lawsuits happen they "may" have an easier time distancing themselves from any legal action... It's B.S. I know but it their game in their arena.
The Department I am retired from also list the pistol used for qualification purposes in their records. On our firearms proficiency card it does list if you qualified with a semiautomatic, revolver or both. I typically qualify with both as sometimes the 642 in the pocket is the most appropriate pistol to carry. I am amazed that I have been retired 4 years, miss some of the people but sure don't miss the BS.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Think the states ask more for the retirees than the LEOSA calls for. Anything I’ve read regarding the letter of the law only outlines “type of firearm” which seems to be interpreted as “handgun” would cover revolver or semi-auto. The active duty officers do qualify with what they carry. I put semi auto on the sign in-form and that’s what is annotated in the letter from the state.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts