1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't gotten around to purchasing a traditional shot timer yet but it's nearly time. Today I started thinking, "Why on earth can't someone make an app for the Apple watch for this?".

A little Googling says that there are a few apps for my watch. Have any of you tried one of these shot timer apps? If so, would you recommend a particular app?

I don't mind paying for an app but it would be nice to hear that it works well from one of you good folks first.

Yes, I will buy a normal shot timer someday....but not yet. :)

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I have used a shot timer app on my iPhone. It works ok but does not have the accuracy in windy conditions or loud environments that a dedicated shot timer does. I have also had issues with older shooter with poor hearing not be able to hear the iphone app beep where they had no issues with a dedicated shot timer. I would imagine it to be even worse with the Apple Watch. I do use my phone app for dry fire practice though to have a random delayed beep and par times.

·
just one more
656 Posts
Cant remember what I used, but it was a free app and worked ok. This was several years ago and I'd assume there are better apps now. Biggest issue I had was location, any shot timer would have failed. Shooting at an indoor public range, shot timers are mostly a wash. I'll read along for info but it seems to me that unless you have a private range shot timers are a nice idea with limited use.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good infos all. In my situation we have "individual" open bays for shooting steel locally. If there are other shooters present they will be at least 50 feet away and over a 6-foot berm. I mention this because I don't yet know if shooters that close will matter with any timer...app or not.

@azpoolguy , good points about the volume and dry-firing. Personally, I'm almost legally deaf...and it would be nice to use the same setup for dry-firing and range time.

Tonight I googled the usual suspects as far as timers go. Just haven't found something that says, "Fark yeah!" yet. They all seem to be 20 years behind for tech.

The only reason I'd want to deal with a timer is to track progress, and I mean across years. If I have to use paper then it's not going to happen.

I'm a computer dork. :eek:.o:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use the Apple app I paid $9.99 for on my phone. It works, but every turning sensitivity to zero it picks up other shots at the indoor range.

It says use blue tooth head phones so you can hear the beep.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts