Shot timers: what do you use, recommend?

Discussion in 'Training' started by B81, Dec 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I want to get a shot timer to help me train for IDPA. Ideally, I would like something that I can use at a public indoor range. This means that the timer will either need to have a way of filtering out the bangs that are not mine and the echos, or use an alternative means of sensing a shot (e.g. wrist worn timer with an accelerometer).

I see that there are smart phone apps that claim to provide adequate measurements for training purposes. Then there are the dedicated shot timer devices, most of which use a mic to listen for shots. However, I know of at least one timer that is worn on the wrist like a watch and uses an accelerometer to sense the shot.

What timers have you used? What timers do you reccomend?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. dsa

dsa Member

Feb 15, 2013
    https://www.amg-lab.com
    It's new but, it looks to do what none of the others can. It's been getting positive reviews so far.

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I used a cell phone app for awhile. It worked for setting par times for dry fire and was ok outdoors shooting by myself. It would have troubles sometimes logging shot strings and the wind or slight breeze would cause it to record shots.

This is what I went to and pretty much the gold standard for shot timers. I don’t know about your indoor range issues though.

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Pro-Timer-II-CEI001/dp/B00LAF7GSI

PewPewPtwang, Whiten and Jollyroger1 like this.
  4. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Another vote of approval for the Pocket Pro II.

5. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Here’s a thread from about six months ago where I asked the same question:
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/shot-timer-recommendations.48688/

I purchased the CED 7000 soon after. It is small, has a lot of functions, and works well when it works but does seem to have reliability issues. Having said that, one fellow I train with has gone through three Pocket Pro IIs in the last six months, so reliability may be a bit of a crap shoot with all of these things.

Specifically, my CED 7000 loses its display when the battery gets low. The battery indicator shows to be still half-full but the display just goes nuts and becomes useless. I may contact the company about it but haven’t yet.

The only recommendation I have is a “No Buy” on the PACT Club Timer. Annie and I have one and found it very limited and a pain in the butt to use.

I’ve used several different shot timer apps, and shot timer functions in apps, on my (Android) phone. They all seemed to work ok but you have to look at the display to see what buttons you’re pushing. The touch-screen operation didn’t suit me unless I was at the firing bench of an indoor range where I could lay everything out in front of me.

No experience whatsoever with wristwatch timer devices. I’m unable to imagine a scenario where tiny buttons and/or tiny touch-screen controls attached to my wrist would work for me in a shooting scenario, but I may be limited in my thinking.

Steve Owens and PewPewPtwang like this.
  6. DPVY

DPVY Previously DPCC

Dec 1, 2017
    I've used em all, and I keep coming back to the CED7000.

It just works for me.

A buddy had that DAA watch... I wouldn't go that route.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  7. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    One more vote for Pocket Pro II

8. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I have a Pocket Pro II. It works ok so far.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  10. awp101

awp101 Unsmooth Operator

Jan 12, 2017
    Here's a multi-page thread with feedback and input from the pre-order purchasers and discussion with the creator: AMG Lab Shot Timer

Mine is sitting at the PO waiting for me to get off early enough to swing by and pick it up. It'll be my first timer so I'm going in with an open mind.

Whiten and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand lol. jkng.. I could see where finding anything that would filter out other shots around you could be relatively difficult, it might be easier to try and just use when your the only one at the range? Not sure about where your located if, that's a possibility but I know where I go there are some specific times of day when the range is relatively empty.. Probably not a viable option if work schedule interferes or your range is a super busy place.

12. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    CED 7000 .... I've used CED timers for over 10 yrs...and I've seen others come and go...but the CED's are still around and performing well.

No timer is perfect in a crowded indoor range..where you are going to get a lot of echos..../ althought the CED has sensitivity settings that help ...

13. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Have had a Pocket Pro for the last ten years or more and it works just fine. Not sure if any do but being able to add times of stages together would be nice.

14. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    This looks promising. I don't want to buy another one just now but in 6-12 mos maybe. I'll keep an eye on this.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. Josh_Putman

Josh_Putman Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I've tried three or four different apps, and they all suck.

I have finally decided I need to break down and buy a real timer. Not sure which one yet, though.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted