Dan Wesson Shoulder holsters anyone?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by lfine, Dec 23, 2018.

1. lfine

lfine New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    I'm a real fan of carrying with a shoulder holster and do so with my PPK all the time. Just got a V-Bob and looking to do the same. It's especially great while driving. Anyone else a fan still? I have a Bianchi Scorpio rig and wouldn't mind just changing out the holster. They don't seem to get as much love as IWB these days to me. (Which I'll also need for concealed carry, so recommendations there, too, are welcome. I'm a 4:00 kind of guy.)

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I sit all day at a desk, I wear mine often under a sport coat. If I'm out on the motorcycle or even hiking on a cool day and I have a jacket or sweatshirt on I wear my Packin T as it has less bounce and swing than the shoulder holster.

Miami Vice 2.jpg Packin T.jpg

FWoo45, Dub, B81 and 4 others like this.

3. lfine

lfine New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    And that Packin T really holds up to the weight?

4. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Easily, never an issue.

FWoo45, Dub and UBOATDOC like this.
  5. lfine

lfine New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    And what shoulder rig?

6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I have used a Galco Jackass to carry a SIG P226. The quality of materials and its construction was good enough for daily use, but it's nothing to get excited about. Drawing from the holster requires a slight downward pull, which felt unnatural to me at first.

I've thought about repurposing it for 1911 carry. The holster component of the rig is removable, and can be swapped out for different pistols. They even made a rather bad ass 4 magazine ammo carrier that attaches to the weak side of the shoulder rig.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  7. lfine

lfine New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Personally, I would love to try a vertical. My PPK is horizontal but the shape of the V-Bob seems to lend itself to vertical nicely.

8. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Wear a Miami Classic nearly every day. My Officer Lightweight is about perfect for this. I think a standard weight gun would likely be a little much and the straps might cut into my shoulder a little.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yup, I've been thinking of switching to vertical as well.

10. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Dub, Jersey James, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  11. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    I think that his Urban Safari is just awesome. I might get one for my Commanders.

Dub likes this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I too use a Miami classic and use the tie downs with it so things don’t move around.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  13. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Because of my body build I have an issue with OWB/IWB type holsters as they all seem to print at the grip area. I am really thinking of going to a vertical shoulder holster for my .45 for carrying purposes. I live in Oregon so, temps are rarely an issue.

Dub likes this.
  14. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    I don't use the tie downs as they pull the straps and make the holster sort of confining.

FWoo45 likes this.
  15. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Anybody using an Andrews Monarch rig?

Dub likes this.
  16. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Oh...and if I want to go with the "Death Ray" I will just carry my Delta Elite.

Dub likes this.
  17. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I have a Miami Classic II. Works well with a aluminum framed Commander. A steel full size is a bit much for all day wear.
    Was looking for something with easier access to a pistol in winter. I love IWB carry, but not so much trying to get thru layers of cloths. A shoulder holster works for this purpose when out and about, and not intending to remove my coat.

Hardball and UBOATDOC like this.
  18. rhjeepdriver

rhjeepdriver Survivor

Nov 12, 2018
    Have a shoulder rig with double mag carrier for my Defender from Ken's Leathercraft. At first I was skeptical because of the price, ($60), but I really like it.

19. smt659

smt659 New Member

Dec 26, 2018

UBOATDOC likes this.
  20. smt659

smt659 New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Colt.jpg First off I'm new to the forum and a old guy and am no stranger to the 1911 in many forms, preferably Colt.
    That said, I have two holsters and use them for different attires, The original Jackass Rig is my go to, wear it high and tight, so comfy it should be illegal. And a small WTP kydex AIWB. Both can hold 3 to 5 inch 1911's and are super concealable. My normal EDC is Colt Defender in 45 and my SMA Deep Cover Colt Pony Pocketlite .380, the .380 is an amazing custom pocket pistol. Too bad SMA is no more because they could work voodoo with a Pony Pocketlite.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted