1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd feel guilty if I didn't post this because I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Jim is a phenomenal builder. Period. Very impressed. It was well worth the wait. If you all like it, I can post more pictures. If these are huge, I apologize in advance. I can't post links yet.

Attachments

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Congrats, she shore is purdy!
:thumbs:

Reactions: Nopps

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
Good looking pistol.
Congrats!

Jim has done 3.5 guns for me:
One has two separate slides barrels fit; .38 Super and 9mm. :)

He’s a true craftsman and a great guy.

·
Enabler
3,409 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have a used Jim Milks on the way. Should have it next week. Haven't found much info online.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Nice looking work, any chance of details on the build & info on Jim? Never heard of him before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
Jim ran EGWs custom shop for George when they had one.
Certainly not high profile, but a very good Smith.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Jim ran EGWs custom shop for George when they had one.
Certainly not high profile, but a very good Smith.
He sure is. i went to Jim for this reason. He actually still does business with EGW, as far as I know (or at least he did after leaving for a length of time) I figured anyone that ran a place like that and still receives sublet work from them after leaving, must be good. That, and personally I like how his front straps turn out and his process for checkering them.

Nice looking work, any chance of details on the build & info on Jim? Never heard of him before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sure thing. Here's a list of the parts I sent with it.

Schuemann Ramped barrel
Schuemann barrel Bushing
Schuemann barrel Link
Wilson Combat recoil group and guidrod
Wilson Combat pin set
Wilson Combat tactical BP Safety
Wilson Combat BP sear spring
Wilson Combat EP hammer spring
Wilson Combat BP slide release
Wilson Combat BP hammer strut
EGW plunger tube
Wilson Combat BP plunger group
Wilson Combat v-grip mainspring housing
Ed Brown titanium firing pin
EGW firing pin stop
Ed Brown three hole trigger
Ed Brown Memory Groove beaver tail
EGW extended ejector
EGW extractor
Cylinder & Slide ultra match commander hammer
Cylinder & Slide ultra low mass disconnector
Cylinder & Slide s80 titanium nitride trigger pull reduction kit
Cylinder & Slide extreme duty sear
Strayer Voigt spline drive mag release lock
Wilson Combat BP tactical mag release
Vz Alien G10 Ivory Grips
Vz grip hardware

I chose an Ed brown beaver tail because of it's height and a Wilson v-grip msh because of the way it wedges the hand upward. That, coupled with a cut under the trigger gaurd really gives some high up realestate to grab. The frame required blending for the beavertail and I'm really impressed with the way everything turned out back there. With the beaver tail depressed, it sort of melts into place and becomes one with the frame. Same thing with the rear of the slide. When in battery, the ejector and the top of the frame melt together with the slide. The frame rails were also welded and recut to tighten the slide fit. I chose a match grade Scheumann barrel and went with a para, Clark, lissner ramp because of the extra beef. This required milling the feed ramp out of the frame in addition to the norm for fitting a match barrel. The frontstrap was cut out and a checkered piece was welded in it's place and blended. You'd never know. The rest of the parts I chose were either picked due to appearance or recommended by Jim. My goal was a classic-ish look and to eliminate MIM parts. Also, I was on the fence about slide top serrations and ball cuts. I love the way they look but didn't want to take any weight out of the slide at the time, so I nixed those. I'm still on the fence about it honestly and wish I would have sometimes.

...forgot to add. The trigger is worked to 3.5 pounds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts