1911 Firearm Addicts banner

221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Wilson Combat CQB 45ACP, 15 yards, 8 rounds, Federal 230gr. FMJ

View attachment 744665

Ed Brown Kobra Carry 45ACP, 15 yards, 9 rounds, Federal 23gr. FMJ, Called far left shot.

View attachment 744670

Nighthawk Talon II 45ACP, 15 yards 7 rounds, Federal 230gr, FMJ

View attachment 744673

Les Baer Comanche Stainless 45ACP, 7 rounds, Federal 230gr. FMJ. Called the first shot low.

View attachment 744674

Les Baer Comanche Stainless 45ACP, 11 rounds @ 7 yards, quick pace, with magazine change.

View attachment 744678
I think that Baer likes you!

Yea the heat/humidity hot to me today.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here’s the first test rounds out of a 5” Gov’t build I just finished for a friend. The tape pieces can’t be larger than 2” each. First four, one round per mag... second group, two rounds per mag.

Caspian slide, Foster receiver and all nighthawk parks except a GS fit Kart 45 NM barrel.

... X

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Tried out some new coated 180gr .40s&w heads over 5.4 grains of UNIQUE at 1.130” OAL. Shot out of my STI Eagle at 14 - 15 yards off a (shaky) rest, LOL. I’d venture to say they’ll do me well in USPSA Limited...

Reactions: Caspian

·
Registered
274 Posts
Typical groups from a CCO I built t Federal or Aguila ball standing at 25 yards, night sights but using the usual post and notch 6 o’clock hold. This type of group is typically the first I get from the gun on any given day, don’t know why. The subsequent groups are good as well but I start trying too hard to duplicate the first.

When I use the dots (tritiums), center of mass, the groups open up considerably, but still in the black. But that is expected...for me. I can’t describe the conflict I have trying not to do the post and notch at 6:00 after 40 plus years of shooting handgun open sights.

The grip on this pistol really works for me.
7A032FEC-3A52-4A81-82A0-825675A616AF.jpeg

This where the pistol hides when it is in the safe

C8D4AE68-BAC0-45BC-BA3A-31DCEA207729.jpeg

Here are pics in its semi finished but useable form. You will see a couple changes compared to the original thread I did on it.

60FB2D69-05F0-4BA0-B4EE-952A704BBB52.jpeg

22D1802D-5450-4BB9-9AEA-7B796AD7DDD7.jpeg

8A46CE9F-1BCA-4C6E-8576-E7B15120CAA9.jpeg

85EF8E6D-E828-43F8-8569-6672546CB5D7.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Got some shots in on Friday, 9 yards with the Les Baer UTC. Shooting left quite a bit, I think I need to push the sight over slightly.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Got some shots in on Friday, 9 yards with the Les Baer UTC. Shooting left quite a bit, I think I need to push the sight over slightly.

View attachment 763507
If you're grouping the way you are at center mass, I'd suggest dry firing more. Looks like you're either occasionally "pushing" the trigger or possibly riding your sight to the left. Might try this before moving your sight. A lot of your shots are dead on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you're grouping the way you are at center mass, I'd suggest dry firing more. Looks like you're either occasionally "pushing" the trigger or possibly riding your sight to the left. Might try this before moving your sight. A lot of your shots are dead on.
I'll second that. I'm usually more hesitant to give advice, but since I opened my big mouth: I would recommend dry firing with a blank background, such as a white wall. That way you can watch the front sight more easily to see if it tends to "jump" to the left as the trigger breaks. If it does, figure out how to get your finger completely flat against the trigger and press exactly straight rearwards.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll do more dry fire practice. This is my 3rd outing with the UTC.
O
Thanks guys, I'll do more dry fire practice. This is my 3rd outing with the UTC.
To quote a wise man "If you master the 1911 trigger, you'll improve on anything else". (actually a paraphrase of Mike Harries).

1911 triggers can be tricky for a number of reasons. The trigger "pull" has to be straight back inline with the pistol. It's easy to slightly push against the trigger while pulling it or even pull the trigger to the side without realizing it . If you're using a curved trigger, it's easy to pull against the trigger in a slightly different position than normally and inadvertently pull the front down.

The next trick is follow through, or the release of the trigger. Micky Fowler taught me this eons ago. Some people hold the trigger back until recoil is done and reset the trigger, this is called "pinning the trigger". Then you have a lot of folks, especially us old f*rts that understand you have to release the trigger smoothly without disrupting the sight picture.

Sounds tough, but when I started in IPSC back in 77, Mike Harries had me dry firing coming out of the holster 10-15 minutes a day (I wanted to compete).

I'm not saying you should think of competing, but a 1911 takes a basic skill set, dry firing also builds muscle memory and this too is important. Yep it's work, but put in the effort and you'll get a lot better!

221 - 240 of 271 Posts