1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

One of the things I soon discovered after arriving in West Berlin from Fort Benning, GA in 1977 was that Berlin Brigade shared a range with the Polizei and they were always glad to let us shoot their stuff in exchange for letting them shoot our stuff. They were crazy about M-16's and thoroughly enjoyed using our 300 yard pop-up silhouette range. They didn't have any Lugers for us to shoot but, they had plenty of postwar-built Walther P38's/P1's, PP's, PPK's and their recently-issued Walther P5's, (Sig) P6's and (HK) P7's.

I thought it was pretty cool to be allowed to shoot James Bond's pistol and I had only seen P38's/P1's in the movies and in history books so when the opportunity arose for range time with them, I didn't hesitate. We had a good working relationship with the Polizei. Many of them were just regular guys, like us, who enjoyed shooting and hunting. When one of them offered to let me try-out his brand new P5, though, it was lust at first sight. I could tell, on the surface, it was just an improved variation of the P38/P1 but that's about where any similarity between the two ended. It had a decocking lever on the frame, better sights, shorter barrel and excellent ergonomics. I couldn't wait to give it a spin.

I was never all that impressed with 9mm. None of the pistols I had previously fired chambered in 9x19 seemed anywhere near as accurate as my issued Colt 1911A1 but the P5 completely changed my mind about the accuracy potential of 9mm vs 45 ACP. It was the first 9x19 pistol that I could actually shoot as well as my 1911.

I didn't start seeing the first imported commercial P5's for sale until I had been back home for about a year (1983) and after being spoiled by Rod & Gun Club prices on base, I was downright aghast when I saw what my civilian price was for one. I resolved to wait until prices came down but, they never did and by then, acquiring a P5 wasn't a real high priority. I was more about S&W and Colt revolvers at the time.

I recently stumbled across this P5 at an LGS, from the owner's personal collection. It's a commercial model with the subdued 'Interarms' import mark, before they started using the big ugly crest emblem. Nice. He got it out of the case and kindly asked me to not drool on it. The next thing I knew, we were writing it up.

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I appreciate it. I've always been a sucker for Walther, Sig and HK service pistols from the 70's and 80's. The first gun I ever bought for myself when I turned 21 was a 'used' Walther PPK thru the Rod & Gun Club. I say 'used' because it was a polizei trade-in but, it didn't look like it had been shot much. Last year, I came very close to buying a LNIB Walther P88 Compact and a postwar Mauser HsC but couldn't get together with the seller on prices.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Still have a 9x18 Ultra PP Super; Took it to the range, let a buddy shoot it and now he has one of his own;

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
My two P5 Compacts are both very early, as only the first couple hundred had the smooth wood grip option and heel mag release. I have #6 and #158. Walther built about 6500 of them in total.

Here's #6 (Serial range started at 150001)

The funny thing is every book I've read and every online source I've seen has the P5 Compact debuting in 1988. Well below is proof a few were made in 1987. My other model is number 158 and its from 1988, so I suspect only a few were built in 1987. :cool2:

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P38k, holy crap. I had almost forgot about that one. Didn't it come out around the same time as the P5 or shortly after? I saw one on GB a couple of years ago that was selling for $2300. I knew they were collectible but, that shocked me a little.

I got hard-up for $ after the birth of my second son in 1991 and sold my PP Super. As a .380/9mm Kurz, I know it's gotta be worth in excess of $3k these days but, haven't really checked.

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
P38k, holy crap. I had almost forgot about that one. Didn't it come out around the same time as the P5 or shortly after? I saw one on GB a couple of years ago that was selling for $2300. I knew they were collectible but, that shocked me a little.
No, the P38K debuted in 1974 and I believe was ended shortly after the P5 debuted in 1979.

I think only about 2000-2500 were made. Not sure how many made it to the States or how many are still in existence at all.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Serial # disclosures:
P5: 036488 - got it from a US Marshall;
P5: 046135 - sportin' a set of Nils;
P5c: 153578 - pics have been posted here;
P5c: 155076 - hard chromed (after reading an article by Dave Spaulding);
PP S: 13583 - got it from a very valued member of the Walther Forums;

ps: no way I'm goin' gun for gun with bac1023, losing proposition for me for sure, lol;

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
Serial # disclosures:
P5: 036488 - got it from a US Marshall;
P5: 046135 - sportin' a set of Nils;
P5c: 153578 - pics have been posted here;
P5c: 155076 - hard chromed (after reading an article by Dave Spaulding);
PP S: 13583 - got it from a very valued member of the Walther Forums;

ps: no way I'm goin' gun for gun with bac1023, losing proposition for me for sure, lol;
There’s no shame here Ronin and looks like you have a very nice P5 collection. Love to see them.

I’ll have to check the serial numbers of my P5’s. I know one is 1984 and the other a 1987 build.

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,126 Posts
Those are some really great looking pistols. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't think there'd be very many Walther enthusiasts here on a 1911 board but, it looks like I'm in some very good company! Thanks for sharing your pics!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts