1911 Firearm Addicts banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
A guy needs a doctorate to BEGIN to know what’s going on with P08s/Lugers. Too many manufacturers, too many variations for too many years.
Some bringing incredible money.
This one is definitely a 5-figure Luger now.

Its a rare mid 1930's S-Code Krieghoff Luftwaffe Luger and its in amazing condition. I even have the capture papers.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
@bac1023 Any P4's? I've seen a few here and there but, they're usually well-used and overpriced by a couple hundred bucks.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
@bac1023 Any P4's? I've seen a few here and there but, they're usually well-used and overpriced by a couple hundred bucks.
I had a P4 in the past.

It’s basically a P1/P38 with a shorter barrel. The big difference is that it has a firing pin safety, which then made it to the P38K and subsequent Walther’s.

I’m not a P38 fan, so I sold the P4 for a profit. The P38K is cool enough to keep, the P4 not so much.

The P4 and P38K kind of go together. Same run.

In fact, the manual has both guns listed.

1442B8B2-B85E-4A14-AE8E-B48A26DA05F5.jpeg

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
I had a P4 in the past.

It’s basically a P1/P38 with a shorter barrel. The big difference is that it has a firing pin safety, which then made it to the P38K and subsequent Walther’s.

I’m not a P38 fan, so I sold the P4 for a profit. The P38K is cool enough to keep, the P4 not so much.

The P4 and P38K kind of go together. Same run.

In fact, the manual has both guns listed.

See, I like P1's/P38's and enjoy shooting them. Here's an old pic of the last one I purchased in 2016. Found it at an estate sale, unfired and without import marks. Serial # indicated it was built in 1966, which explained the 'thin' slide and non-upgraded/un-reinforced frame.

It was too nice to shoot and I ended up selling it for just slightly more than I had in it.

The P4 is an oddity to me because the uniformed cops in Berlin carried P1's and I never got to shoot a P4.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
How about an American Eagle Luger in 30 cal.? I even test fired it.

Beautiful

I have one of those myself. DWM built a little over 10,000 of them, so they can be found. However, I waited for the right one to come along, fully matching, and pretty much immaculate.

The year was 1900 and not only are they 30 Luger, but they predate the 9mm cartridge entirely. I always felt they were some of the most beautiful Lugers in existence, with the Swiss style tapered barrel and the dished knobs. The American Eagle crest is very well done also. These were the among the first commercial Lugers to come into the country.

Not bad for a 120 year old handgun. :cool:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Phenomenal Collection - I knew it, but to see these just keep flowing out for all to see;

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
My head would explode! You are causing me enough issues, as it is (and thank you), lol;

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Seriously impressive stuff here guys. I’m just waiting for one of you to pull out a 45 caliber Luger used in the Army tests against our famed 1911.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

Technically, it isn't a 'German' pistol but, I don't know how there could be a discussion about them without including the Steyr GB. Anyone else ever own one of these?

I special ordered one in the Summer of 1983 after reading an article in Shooting Times praising its shootability and reliability. 18+1 capacity in a pistol was pretty much unheard of at that time (outside of the HK VP70Z) and the Steyr GB was also unique in that it featured a gas-delayed blowback action that supposedly made it a very soft shooter. The 'GB' abbreviation stands for Gasbremse (gas brake). It was designed as a replacement for older handguns in Austrian military service.

While it was a fun pistol to do mag dumps with since 9mm was so inexpensive back then, the DA/SA trigger pull was horrendous (12/7) and I couldn't shoot a group with it any better than about 4" wide at ten yards. I put it in my safe and traded it about a year later for something else.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes, I love the GB. Its a gas delayed blowback much like an HK P7, but set up a bit differently.

The trigger isn't good, but I'm able to get decent groups with practice. The long fixed barrel doesn't hurt. I've got two of them like new in box.
I'm not surprised you have a couple of nice specimens! The gun's history is interesting. Whenever I think of innovative European gun designs, the Steyr GB is among the first that comes to mind. Steyr's designs haven't always been the most lucrative and aesthetically-pleasing but, they're usually interesting and work well for the most part. US sales of the GB suffered as much from Steyr's lousy distribution network as it did the Rogak-fiasco nearly killing the design before it ever launched.

I have heard that later models of the GB, equipped with spur hammers, had a lot better trigger pulls straight out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I'm not surprised you have a couple of nice specimens! The gun's history is interesting. Whenever I think of innovative European gun designs, the Steyr GB is among the first that comes to mind. Steyr's designs haven't always been the most lucrative and aesthetically-pleasing but, they're usually interesting and work well for the most part. US sales of the GB suffered as much from Steyr's lousy distribution network as it did the Rogak-fiasco nearly killing the design before it ever launched.

I have heard that later models of the GB, equipped with spur hammers, had a lot better trigger pulls straight out of the box.
There’s a lot of really innovative Euro designs.

I love the Austrian Ultramatic pistols

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think this is my favorite thread. I'll have some time next week as work can be a little sporadic right now. I need to upload my tiny bits of German history and see what y'all think.

bac's contributions are just super cool. :) The photos are well executed too!

61 - 80 of 116 Posts