1911 Firearm Addicts banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I think this is my favorite thread. I'll have some time next week as work can be a little sporadic right now. I need to upload my tiny bits of German history and see what y'all think.

bac's contributions are just super cool. :) The photos are well executed too!
Yes, they are. I gotta wonder what someone, with a collection like that, enjoys shooting the most. Something tells me it probably isn't a Glock.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Yes, they are. I gotta wonder what someone, with a collection like that, enjoys shooting the most. Something tells me it probably isn't a Glock.
As far as German pistols go, my favorite to shoot are the Sig Sauer Mastershop models. I posted a couple earlier in the thread, but I've got others.

The P210 Super Target is about as good as it gets from an accuracy and precision standpoint. They aren't cheap at about $4000 each, but they are worth the money.

These are built within the last decade, so not really "vintage", but the design is over 70 years old.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
As far as German pistols go, my favorite to shoot are the Sig Sauer Mastershop models. I posted a couple earlier in the thread, but I've got others.

The P210 Super Target is about as good as it gets from an accuracy and precision standpoint. They aren't cheap at about $4000 each, but they are worth the money.

These are built within the last decade, so not really "vintage", but the design is over 70 years old.
That answers that question. LOL I've only had the pleasure of shooting a P210 once but, after the first 25 rounds it was easy to understand the appeal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The brother to bac1023’s Mauser: View attachment 459797 View attachment 459795 I think this version is much more common. @bac1023 would know more as I bought it from him
That is a Mauser 29/70. Mauser got the manufacturing equipment back from the Swiss to make that run. In Germany the "Lugers" were either called Parabellum Pistolen by civilians and P.08 by the army.

I have one of those and it is an excellent shooter but so is the standard issue Walther P1. I only have the trophy for the second place, the first place was shot out every year anew and the trophy passed on to the next winner.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
If you'd have told me back in 1983 that this would be how the P220/P226 line would evolve into the 21st Century, I would've had a hard time imagining it. Back then, Sigs were fugly, matte black duty guns that were all-business and few people, if any, considered them capable of competing with 1911's...until they saw how good they really were. That's how I discovered them. I was shooting mostly big bore revolver class in IHMSA matches but, was looking for some other game to play during the off-season (October-March). Bowling pin matches looked fun and didn't require much more than ammo and a decent holster. Matches were indoors. I thought they would be a good way to stay sharp during the Winter months.

I took a new P220 in .45 ACP to my first match and after the 1911-guys finished rolling their eyes and wondering why the heck I'd even try shooting against them with such a lame duty pistol, I finished in 3rd Place. I got $25 and a trophy. The 1911-guys were incredulous but, wrote it off to beginner's luck. During the weeks that followed, I shot several more pin matches, won a few and was accused of using an illegally modified gun a couple of times. That's right: I was forced to field strip and allow the match directors to examine my P220 before collecting my trophy and modest winnings because one of my fellow competitors had accused me of cheating. LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
If you'd have told me back in 1983 that this would be how the P220/P226 line would evolve into the 21st Century, I would've had a hard time imagining it. Back then, Sigs were fugly, matte black duty guns that were all-business and few people, if any, considered them capable of competing with 1911's...until they saw how good they really were. That's how I discovered them. I was shooting mostly big bore revolver class in IHMSA matches but, was looking for some other game to play during the off-season (October-March). Bowling pin matches looked fun and didn't require much more than ammo and a decent holster. Matches were indoors. I thought they would be a good way to stay sharp during the Winter months.

I took a new P220 in .45 ACP to my first match and after the 1911-guys finished rolling their eyes and wondering why the heck I'd even try shooting against them with such a lame duty pistol, I finished in 3rd Place. I got $25 and a trophy. The 1911-guys were incredulous but, wrote it off to beginner's luck. During the weeks that followed, I shot several more pin matches, won a few and was accused of using an illegally modified gun a couple of times. That's right: I was forced to field strip and allow the match directors to examine my P220 before collecting my trophy and modest winnings because one of my fellow competitors had accused me of cheating. LOL
Great stuff Zippy

Before partnering with Sauer in Germany to develop the P220, Sig built only one handgun, the P210. The P220 was introduced in 1975 to replace the P210 for service, to reduce costs. The P210 was a very costly pistol to build.

This P210-6 dates from 1967 and includes a matching 30 Luger barrel as well as an entire P210-7 rimfire upper assembly. 50 meter test targets for each caliber are included.

Not a German gun, but built by a company that now is. Possibly about as fine as handguns get. In my opinion, also one of the most elegant looking handguns of all time.

·
старая каза
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Your collection is really something else! If I ever get my hands on another West German-built P220, I won't let it go. Trust me!

·
Registered
64 Posts
81 - 100 of 116 Posts