1911 Firearm Addicts banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·

Couldn't wait. Took it out to the range during my lunch break this afternoon and ran 100 rounds of Geco 124gr FMJ thru it. Amazing. It had been 36 years since I last shot a P5 and the only thing I could think of the whole time was, "why did I wait so long to get one of these?"

P5's aren't that hard to come by, unless you're holding-out for a lightly-used commercial model in good condition for a decent price. It had proven to be such a challenge over the years that I had pretty much given-up on the idea but, maybe I should've tried harder?

The P5 has a great trigger. Many German service pistols did during the era it was produced. It just happened to be one of the first. P5's were also renowned for their accuracy and this one did not disappoint. It was almost too easy to hit 4" steel plates in the 7-10 yard range and incredibly easy to make fast, accurate follow-up shots.

I'm going to shoot a video at some point and get it on paper. Today was just a function test and cabin fever therapy. It felt good!

My only two;
Sig P6
View attachment 470469

MauserWerke Hi-Power
View attachment 470471
You do realize that the "Mauser" HP clone was manufactured by Fegyver- és Gépgyár, also known as FEG and that Mauser just imported them from Hungary and distributed them?

This one was made in Germany; SIG Sauer P220.

This one was made in Switzerland for the German police, the BGS in the 1950s; a SIG P210-4. I clearly prefer shooting the P210-4!

It's been a month. Let's get this thread back to the top.

For your review -

1) Simson Suhl built between the wars P-08 is the backstory on this one. It is my understanding from a high level DFW LGS, this pistol is a pretty rare one. My Father in Law scooped this baby up years ago and passed it down to my spouse (and me too!).
2) Sauer & Suhl 38H - earlier version with hammer cock/decock. An auction purchase - a sweet shooter but has been refinished. The grips are original, intact, and surprisingly valuble by themselves.
3) Mauser Built P-38 from 1944. It appears to be a pretty good condition item. I snagged this one at a DFW gun show 15 or 20 years ago when an older gentleman was getting out of the Luger and P-38 game.

The Luger takes top billing on my vintage German collection for sure and probably my entire collection. The vintage German pistols displayed by our 1911 members really do take the cake. I really wanted to add my small group of WWII era pistols to add to what's already here. I'm grateful to own these three interesting pieces. Once again, thanks for the awesome postings in this thread. I love looking at the wonderful photos of finely crafted pistols.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #107 · (Edited)

I knew that sooner or later I'd have to resurrect this thread with another unexpected find. Here's a 1991 West German-built Sig P220 that I got with the original box, papers, factory test target and two mags. It belonged to a member of my club who recently passed-away after a sudden illness. I think he would be glad that it went to a good home. I'd guess the round count is somewhere between 50-100 rounds. It's in great condition.

During the early 1990's I owned three P220's: a two-tone with a nickel slide, a full-nickel and a Nitron gray one, like this one. They were some of the best pistols I ever owned in .45 ACP.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.