Showing serial numbers

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dogman, Dec 8, 2018.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Someone posted this comment about a pistol that had the serial number covered -- "Everyone thinks it’s stupid until some idiot sees an item they like and files a police report as stolen with the serial number you provided in the picture and then you have to prove ownership."

Really, some scumbag is going to go to the police and file a false report in an attempt to get your pistol.

Do you cover up serial numbers when you take pictures? Why or why not?

I never have and especially appreciate being able to see them in pictures of older guns so I can look up date of manufacture.

C_Hallbert, gaijin, Kip and 1 other person like this.
  2. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    I cover mine up some times out of habit, but not always. As for older guns and stuff I wouldn't hide that information. Also, if someone asked in PM I'd give it to them.

3. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    Guess personal preference. I can respect someone wanting to keep the info semi-private. I never had an issue with showing the number.

4. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I do not. My guns are legally acquired by me. Some were bought used and without my knowledge of whether or not they were stolen at some point in the past. I guess I have some risk there. Maybe I should sit home on the couch wrapped in bubble wrap today instead of going shooting. There’s risk in going shooting.

FWoo45, Kip, limbkiller and 1 other person like this.
  5. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I don’t cover my serial numbers. I have records of everything I’ve bought and who I bought them from. Regrettably, Uncle Sam has record of most of my transfers as does my FFL so.... there is a paper trail.

6. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I don't. I don't wear tin foil and live in a state of paranoia either.

Mini Me, Kip and retrieverman like this.
  7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I cover or blur serial numbers in photos of my guns. I do it because its PII, Personally Identifiable Information. The less PII that you indiscriminately leak the better.

It's a personal decision. If you want don't want to go through the hassle of blurring serial numbers, then don't do it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    pcso13 and Grizz like this.
  8. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I don’t but generally just don’t post pictures of the side with the serial number. Problem solved.

FWoo45 likes this.
  9. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    most every gun I buy has been posted for sale here with the number showing anyway! :)

Babboonbobo, Kip and dogman like this.
  10. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Sometimes I do..... Every day carry....
    IMG_20181126_062909020_HDR.jpg
    sometimes I don't..... Custom build...
    IMG_20180622_104321521_HDR.jpg

11. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    The reason is not that someone is going to file a police report claiming you stole their pistol. The reason is that there are a-holes in our world. a-holes who will steal your photo, put your pistol for sale on a website (like this one for example- we've had it happen at least twice I'm aware of), or Armslist, and it looks legit. Then, when a person attempts to purchase the pistol, and it doesn't get delivered, the person who got screwed will file a claim. Eventually you may get a knock at your door and have to prove you didn't put the pistol up for sale and screw over the buyer. May be nothing more than saying it wasn't you, to having to go to small claims court. Either way, the extra 30 seconds it takes to make sure this doesn't happen, for you and for a poor schlep, is worth it.
    Now, I too have done both. But, nowadays, I just copy a small portion of the slide, and paste it over the serial number. Takes literally 30 seconds in PowerPoint.

pcso13, FWoo45, dogman and 2 others like this.
  12. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Will a digital watermark guard against that?

I can see obscuring serial numbers on brag pictures that you don't want to get pirated for fraud.
    But if you are asking us to search out information, it might help to give it in full.
    "What can you tell me about Acme No 5XXXXX?" is not much to go on.
    "I have one of those, No XXX567, when was it made?"
    Don't laugh, I've seen both.

pcso13 and WHEELS like this.
  13. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I cover/obscure serial #s for privacy purposes.
    If someone doesn't like that or thinks it's silly, well...

pcso13 and Harleyvato like this.
  14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I think the reason I quoted was pretty far fetched -- I was just curious why some do it and others don't. Wasn't making a value judgement on other reasons.

15. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Your original question implies that you are indeed making a value judgement

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I still think the original scenario I posted is unlikely and farfetched and yes that is a value judgement. However, I don't think not wanting to share "Personal Identifying Information" or "Privacy" issues are "silly".

17. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I don't see how it can hurt. We have free speech & the right to say most anything. How can that come back to hurt us? We all have pistols that have paperwork, so we know their history &
    know they are legal.

Who are we trying to hide from? The Government has our serial numbers already from our PPP when we buy them. It used to be that the Military pistols were not legal to steal & that caused many serial Numbers to be removed. I do not believe that is the case today.

18. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I know that my thinking on any of this is pretty goofy....but not only will not typically post any pictures, even on here.....I realize that someone could catalog the different posts and figure out what I own....but just as I have a different mailing address than my actual residence to provide "another layer"....I just don't post pics. I think I may have sent one pic of my S&W 66 revolver here during my entire tenure as "Uboatdoc". I would send pics as PM's, but not as general posts...I know, I know....any IT dude worth a bag of Cheeto's could break into everything and download my personal pics of me reclining in a Speedo with an augmented sweet potato stuck in it for effect.....but at least I will be an annoyance.

19. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Not all true here. I’ve bought some used guns. I’ve bought some from people I didn’t know. All legal. I don’t know for sure none of them were ever stolen. I don’t think they were, but I can’t say with certainty. And the government doesn’t have numbers on these guns that can be traced to me.

20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ve filled out a 4473 for every gun I have except one and I purchased many from this site where photos were already posted!
    So while I have no issue with people covering them up I really don’t worry about it too much plus this is the ONLY place I post any pictures.
    I don’t do Facebook or imager or whatever it’s called. I have both instagram and Twitter accounts but do not post pics, I only use them to support our President.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted