1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Addicts,
At present I have an older AR. It has a 20" barrel, standard full size fixed stock and the upper has a carry handle with the rear sight built in, so its not able to have an optical sight on it. I would like to have an outstanding AR that I can bet my life on. I'm envisioning a 16" barrel, adjustable butt stock, a flat top that has both iron sights and an optic. I think I may want a vertical fore grip, but not sure.
I don't want to build a gun, just buy one. Should I get a piston driven gun? Is DI okay? I want an excellent 2 stage combat trigger as well. I am willing to spend some money and do not need this to be a bargain rifle. As you know there are scores of options. What should I be looking at?
Thanks,
Jeff

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
247 Posts
DI works fine for me. I have both piston and DI rifles. All run great.DI is lighter weight which I like. Modern Outfitters makes a High quality DI AR and LWRC makes an even more affordable high quality DI AR

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses! I have a friend who really likes Daniel Defense rifles. How do they rate?

Reactions: Badabing11

·
just one more
656 Posts
DI is fine, and depending on your budget there are a gazillion options. knights is top tier, maybe the peak. Then there are mid range and low end. Many, myself included have spent less on budget guns, like those form PSA or S&W, ruger, etc and had solid functioning guns for little outlay, in some cases $5-600 vs 2500. NOt saying don't get a knights, LMT etc but you don't have to.

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,270 Posts
Hard to beat a Rock River for what you want. I have a 16" Coyote & love it.
I agree on the Rock River. You don't have to spend a fortune on a good AR and the RR is a great example of that. I have their AR1410 Lar 15 Delta Carbine and it does everything I ask of it.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Why a two stage trigger? I love em, (Geisselle, duh), very happy happy with the Geisselle single stage as well. Not cheap but worth it. Possibly one of Bill's offerings? Or knights. BCM for on the cheap. Keep us posted with pics. AR's are almost as addictive as 1911's.

·
Banned
1,475 Posts
I bought a POF lower thinking I was going to do a SBR and forgot that idea.......Had a friend put a 14.5 inch barrel 1.5 inch Vortex FH, Troy 13 inch Railed Tube and Troy Squid Grips.....I added Troy Folding front and rear BUIS and a Aimpoint PRO Red dot.

Karsten

·
810 Posts
A well tuned DI AR will generally feel softer than a piston gun. Generally being the operative word. Piston AR will generally be heavier, especially towards the muzzle, due to the extra mass of the piston system. I don't see a significant difference between DI and piston for normal use, and prefer DI ARs.

If you want a good, reliable, and moderately priced AR, I suggest getting a BCM or something like that, and changing the trigger. There are a ton of companies now making AR triggers but Geissele and LaRue are what I would recommend based on experience. This would probably be the most cost effective option, be g2g out of the box, and leave more money left over for an optic.

If you want to spend more money, I would suggest looking at Knights, Trirac, LaRue, Hodge, and Noveske. Those companies make highly reliable systems with small tweaks that make their respective systems a little smoother, accurate, or increase parts longevity. Those companies all have their own whiz-bang propriety features so just choose the one that appeals to you the most. They all come with good triggers that won't need to be replaced (except the Hodge... I don't know what the current production uses).

Another company you might want to look at is JP. The JP will probably be the smoothest and flattest shooting of the group. They mainly make competition guns so it will be the most tuned, but also the less "battle ready" compared to the ones mentioned above.

FWIW I think Daniel Defense makes a good product, but they just aren't interesting to me and seem slightly over priced for what you get.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,352 Posts
Have just 2. A Colt M-4 very stock and an Aero Precision hand assembled pistol. Both would be just fine and along with my M1A Scout....I am good. But with unlimited funds.....A Knights or DD. And an M14 from Fulton, Smith or LRB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This goes on your carry handle:
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...16-single-rail-sr-mount-system-prod23082.aspx

use the lowest rings you can get and you can mount a 1-6 with a lit reticle if you grind the mount where need be to give clearance for the scope and your iron sights still work under the scope same as the original 3X scopes that were made for carry handle rifles back in the day and the height will be similar too.
Mount this on your front sight:
https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dual-rail-front-sight-accessory-mount.html
Now you can mount a white light.
You now have a great fighting rifle with modern capabilities.
PS - You can still buy a second rifle but this one will have the same capabilities if you need it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I have a friend who really likes Daniel Defense rifles. How do they rate?
I have at least 4 DD rifles and can't complain. I know I have two DDM4V11 Pros and two MK18 pistols. The Pros have the flat Giessele 3 gun triggers which is nice. I also picked up a ZEV from Tyler @Cajun Concealed that is also nice. Heck I think I've picked up several rifles from him:)

However, I'd pick the MK18s over the pros and my KACs, LMTs over them for your listed purpose.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts