Sig P320. Interested but Why Should I?

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by razorbacker, Dec 2, 2018.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    In the carry handguns, I have a safe crowded with full size, compact and subcompact polymer/striker fire handguns in Glock, HK, Walther etc. models (no Sigs, yet). Favorite compact striker carry is G19 or PPQ, in subcompact PPS or G43. I have read threads on gun forums where folks are orgasming for various reasons over the P320 models. I'm guessing a lot of the excitement is over the military contract. I have not shot any P320s but have fondled them at the LGS. I'm interested and always looking for an excuse to purchase a new gun, but can't quite talk myself into pulling the trigger on the Sig. Are the P320 differences all that much greater than the other strikers? Enlighten me with your P320 likes and experiences.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Trigger and grip angle are the two most that do it for me with the P320.
    I guess I would say got to a range and rent one before you buy, I have two P320s and two M17 Bravos, I really like them.

schofield and Bro. Pappaw like this.

3. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Skip it. You have those bases covered already.

gaijin and Harleyvato like this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Just send one of your g19s to lou for his spa treatment.

Harleyvato and WWB like this.
  5. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm not a big fan ....I've fired 3 models....and they're ok, but not special in my view - including their X5 model ( and I like Sigs, I have 5 of them...original X5, 226's, 239's...)...

But honestly if you threw all of the polymer stryker offerings into a big bucket..(.from the top 5 selling mfg's ....)...99% of the guys out there wouldn't be able to give you a reason why they like 1 or 2 over the rest of them...in my view.

Yes, I think most of the talk about the 320 is because of the military contract...

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I wasn’t super impressed by the one I shot, but it went bag every time.

Seems like you already have the bases covered on this type of firearm.

I have a few glocks and a shield for HD/carry etc, but they are ultitarian. I never seem to lust after plastic the way I do after steel.

7. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Just buy the Beretta M9A3....

8. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Man up and tote that 5" steel 45acp 1911.
    Who knows.....it might someday be called on to do the job.

WC145, neogirevik1, gps man and 3 others like this.
  9. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    Ha, yes I agree that 5" steel with the big hole in the end makes a better impression if called upon. Practically speaking, I have noticed that a lot of "manly" steel 1911 fellows mostly have polymer sticking out of their holsters, all their 1911's are home sleeping in the safe awaiting the next range day.
    When I was younger, I chased deer and elk with every caliber of heavy, long-barreled magnum rifles up to 338 win. Now at 65, magnum rifles are all gone and only sweet gentle 270s and 30-06s remain in the safe. Circle of life I guess.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  10. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    At 68 yrs old I can relate....but my primary carry is still a 5" all stainless 1911...but my concession to my age & arthritis ...is its now a Wilson Protector model in 9mm...vs its brother in the safe in .45acp...

20180525_094443.jpg

( and for the record, here ia a photo -- of the real Sig X Five ...its all stainless, 5", SAO../ that is about 18 yrs old...)....and no I don't carry it, its a double stack, mine is in .40 S&W..and its 55 oz with a full mag...)...but they made them in 9mm as well.../ they made 3 other versions, this is the L1 model, with the adj trigger - between 2.0 & 4.0 lbs.... like I said, it offends me that Sig is using the X5 name again on a stryker fired poly gun.... ...

20180410_110941.jpg

11. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Wasn’t impressed. High bore axis, felt cheap. VP9s and Glocks are better strikers

Greg45acp likes this.
  12. razorbacker

Dec 2, 2011
    BigJim, couple beautiful guns there, bet that 5" Wilson is mild as a pussycat in 9mm. Thanks for posting the pics.

13. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    You're welcome ...yes, the Wilson Combat 5" Protector model in 9mm ...has been a great gun ...( biught it new 14 yrs ago / shot it weekly, made it my primary carry gun ( retired a Wilson CQB 5" in .45acp because of increased arthritis issues at 68 yrs old now...) and to date it has roughly 270,000 rounds thru it - and going strong....

The L1 model X5 is easy to shoot as well...but it will never be a better gun, for me, than the Wilson 9mm...

FWoo45 likes this.
  14. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I was a little slow on warming up to the P320, as it was involuntarily pushed on me as my new duty gun, but now after close to 2 years and several thousand rounds, I can say it is one of my favorite pistols. I am constantly amazed at how soft it recoils and my x carry is consistently my fastest pistol on the plate rack "9mm 1911's and custom CZ's included".

On top of that, the design really is brilliant, its easy to clean, field strip, even completely disassemble the trigger modual. And its serialized trigger modual really lends its self to modding, if that's your thing.

Hopefully in the future we will see companys like magpul making there own grip modules for the p320, to better dial in the ergonomics

RN47 likes this.
  15. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    You should’t ;)

You’re welcome.

16. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Not a Sig guy.
    I’ve had a half dozen, they never stayed in the safe more than a few months.
    And I agree, you have all the bases covered.

razorbacker likes this.
  17. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I just jumped on the wagon last night. I have been slowly building up a collection of the MHS candidates for grins...no particular reason other than some curiosity. This is my third (P320-M17, not the commemorative version) as it joins the 19x and the FN 509T. I’m going through a shades of tan/light brown phase...try not to judge me!

I have fondled many a P320 and I have to say I have admired the trigger for a striker out of the box. I never could decide it was the right choice for me as I had other priorities for either toys or carry...but the gun shop/range I was at last evening (shooting a CZ naturally...lol) had mismarked a promotion for the M17 in the case (I called earlier in the day and they quoted the price $50 higher than was posted). The manager said he would honor the price...so $560 later (taxes excluded) it was on its way home! I picked up a few boxes of ammo (they should get their margin back on it that way) and took her home to clean up.

I’ll take it for a test drive tonight. Disassembly was super easy, even down to the striker level...nothing to worry about at all. Build quality looks to be very good...no tool marks or blems to speak of. I did get a brand new, never displayed piece (I always ask) which was also nice.

On the surface I say go for it. I’ll let you know for sure a bit later!
    [​IMG]

AJP likes this.
  18. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    No striker fired pistols will ever be in any of my safes just a personal preference.

19. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    I bought a P320X when they were 1st available, I sent it to Robert Burke (The Sig armorer) for a competition action/ flat trigger job. It came back and was a very accurate, with a great trigger. The fact is I JUST DON'T LIKE striker fired guns. (had G20 & G21's)
    To me ALL striker fired actions sounds like a beer can snap top opening. They sound "hollow". It's just a hangup I have. Similar to a cheap car door closing "clank" vs a bank vault "thud" of a premium auto.
    The gun felt good in the hand, was a great shooter & very accurate, just not for me, so I sold it. Rent/borrow one then decide. YMMV
    P320rx Flat trigger.jpg
    P320rx  after RB.jpg

George

20. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I have 300 rounds through the P320-M17 I bought this past Thursday now.

So far so good! It is a good trigger for a factory striker. It has a fairly short pull as compared to, say Glock, with a cleaner break and reasonable take-up. It’s still a striker....so keep that in mind, but it’s not awful!

As for reliability and first impressions...I am a fan. Though relative to the tall slide and bore axis that it would flip far more than it does. It’s a very flat shooter. To me it feels good in the hand and the grip angle makes aim a breeze. Recoil is of course felt, but it’s a full size pistol, and poly or not, in 9mm there just isn’t much to contend with in that department.

As an observation, I find the poly frame feels more “premium” than many others. It’s substantial, not as thin as possible everywhere. The result is even without mags in, it doesn’t flex much, if at all (versus say a Glock that uses the magazine as part of the strength/rigidity of the pistol grip). It’s just an observation but it’s a good feel for a poly pistol.

All rounds so far have been 115gr...mostly Blazer Brass and some Sig Elite. All flawless to date.

I went in feet first on this one as the price was too good to pass up, but I am very pleased with it. I think in its segment it certainly deserves the attention it gets...and I see why Glock folks get in a huff when the whole Army contract comes up...but the thing is just plain good!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    AJP likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted