1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that most polymer guys tend to be Glock guys, but being a pretty hard core SIG guy I decided to try the P320 when it first came out. I now have had about 10 different versions of the gun and have been carrying and shooting them since about mid to late 2014.

The modularity of the platform make it extremely to make changes to and cleaning is a snap. I have mixed and matched pretty much ever grip frame, FCU, barrel and slide. I am down to 4 now but they are a strategic set. Two are full size and two are carry length. Two are Manual safety and two are standard striker with no safety. Aside from having to make sure that the grip frame for the Manual Safety version has been cut to accept it.

The standard grip frames come in small, medium and large so it can be tailored to your hand size. The two I have pictured here have the Wilson Combat grip frame which is reasonably priced and the Gray Guns grip frame which is a bit more.

The beauty of my carry gun is that it has all the components I decided I liked the best. The slide and barrel are from an X-Carry, the FCU is an original (yes, the droppable one - but its a Manual Safety so that is pretty much a non issue), and the Wilson Combat grip frame. The reason I kept the FCU original is because it has the first rendition of the Gray Guns trigger and spring that made the trigger really nice.

I have tried just about every trigger on the market and decided I prefer Gray Guns or Apex curved triggers. Although I have a Keres straight trigger in the VTAC that has very little movement and a very nice break.

I really like the manual safety as it functions just like my 1911's and makes my practice between them the same.

I now have them chambered in 9mm, SIG 357 and 40 Smith & Wesson. I had the 45 ACP version, actually a few of them, but I was never happy with them in 45.

Generally, this platform has made for a very comfortable carry weapon and I have found accuracy to be as good or better than my other guns. Many of which I paid quite a bit more for. I have let friends and people I have met at the range shoot my X-Carry against a number of other 9mm carry guns and to a person they really liked the P320 over what they were shooting.

I have had, and will probably have again, multiple versions of the X5. To date the X5 Legion is one of the best shooting range guns I have owned and I think the price point is a steal. The weight is perfect for a range or competition gun. I found that the VTAC that I built up from parts was a very good shooter as well and I decided to stick with it over the X5 because I can easily carry it as well as use it as a range gun.

There is a building aftermarket for the 320 and a lot of ways to make this gun exactly what you want it to be.

Edit: So I had the X-Carry with the WC grip frame. I liked the feel of it and it worked perfectly. The stippling is more abrasive than it looks on the back of the frame. Not uncomfortable but diffinitely grippy. I think I like the fact that the WC grip frame is more rounded than the X-Carry or Gray Guns. All in all I really like the WC offering.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Nice write up. Along with the shootability and reliability I really appreciate the modularity. It is great when a completely new frame enters the market with features I want, and all it takes for me to get in on it is $60 and a quick 30 second FCU swap.

I am sitting at 4 of them as well, although I feel like I probably need at least one more. And yeah, I too mix and match the parts like they are Legos. Here's my favorite 2.
Gun Air gun Everyday carry Still life photography Tool
Gun Firearm Trigger Hardwood Air gun

Might as well throw the working gun in as well
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Black

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the issues with .45 acp with this platform you didn’t like?
The first one I had when they first released them in a carry version was great. I let it get away and I had to build up a new one with a carry frame, but I had some feed issues with it. It would not feed SWC’s reliably.

However, it was a very easy shooting 45 ACP.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice write up. Along with the shootability and reliability I really appreciate the modularity. It is great when a completely new frame enters the market with features I want, and all it takes for me to get in on it is $60 and a quick 30 second FCU swap.

I am sitting at 4 of them as well, although I feel like I probably need at least one more. And yeah, I too mix and match the parts like they are Legos. Here's my favorite 2.
View attachment 408985 View attachment 408983

Might as well throw the working gun in as well
View attachment 408999
I really like the stippling on the VTAC grip frame.

I expect I will get another at some point (when working again). I am kinda waiting to see what they come out with. I would love to see an X-Carry Legion of some sort. Something less focused on competition and more focused on EDC.

Reactions: AJP

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It would not feed SWC’s reliably.
A common problem.
My first P220 would not function with SWCs, I do not ask the second to try.
I don't think you can count on a Glock 21 handling a SWC.
Early XD .45s would not work with SWCs but I understand they revised the action to accommodate them.

At least you can "throat" a 1911 for SWCs, if necessary, but I have not heard any received wisdom on other designs.
Me? I got tired of keeping .45s and their compatible ammo matched up, so I am loading mostly roundnose and a few ogival hollowpoints. SWCs remaining are being shot in one gun I am confident of with them.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common problem.
My first P220 would not function with SWCs, I do not ask the second to try.
I don't think you can count on a Glock 21 handling a SWC.
Early XD .45s would not work with SWCs but I understand they revised the action to accommodate them.

At least you can "throat" a 1911 for SWCs, if necessary, but I have not heard any received wisdom on other designs.
Me? I got tired of keeping .45s and their compatible ammo matched up, so I am loading mostly roundnose and a few ogival hollowpoints. SWCs remaining are being shot in one gun I am confident of with them.
My 1911’s and my P220 feed my SWC reloads perfectly and I am happy wiht them, so I will stand pat there.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have heard of other P220s that were good with SWCs.
I have heard of other P220s that were not.
The design is not SWC "friendly", I think those that work with them are riding on tolerances.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have heard of other P220s that were good with SWCs.
I have heard of other P220s that were not.
The design is not SWC "friendly", I think those that work with them are riding on tolerances.
Every P220 I have owned, a substantive number, have fed better than any 1911 I have owned. So from personal experience I have not had a P220 not feed even when I had some questionable reloads that would not go in my 1911. Most SIG’s will digest anything.

Even my SWC loads which it is really accurate with!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'm a SIG fan and have really enjoyed messing with the 320
Currently 2 320 x-fives (one with the legion TXG grip module)
and 1 RX that I use EDC with a 6 moa Romeo 1

Reactions: AJP
1 - 10 of 10 Posts