1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted one of the M45a1 Colts when they were released but missed out. I find this want to miss out on these and I picked this up from Jeremy @ Chicken Dinner Arms.( great to deal with by the way!)
I liked these even before Sig got the contract and be an actual US martial arm makes it even better. The pistol looks like it was hardly used, except one mag that’s named and banged up. Really happy with this one.
Plastic Box Packing materials Packaging and labeling Cardboard
Gun Brown Firearm Trigger White
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Tan
Brown Gun Khaki Tan Beige
Brown Khaki Tan Beige Gun accessory
Brown Beige Tan Technology Khaki
Brown Firearm Trigger Tan Khaki
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Technology Musical instrument accessory Beige Gadget Silver
Khaki Beige Tan Tool Security

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
How come these are on the market? Aren't they current military issue? It's taken 75 years for them to release WWII surplus 1911s through the CMP while these SIGs are still warm from the desert heat. What gives?

Reactions: Dallas Knight

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,577 Posts
where’s all the Berettas the Sigs are replacing?
What I’ve been wondering too. In “storage” somewhere (like the 1911s) I’m guessing.

The 1911s in military service for ~75 years. The Berettas in military service for ~32 years. The Sig’s in military service coming up on 3 years. (And they’re already available to Joe Citizen? ...interesting)

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
It's certainly in good condition.

Reactions: Mauser220

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How come these are on the market? Aren't they current military issue? It's taken 75 years for them to release WWII surplus 1911s through the CMP while these SIGs are still warm from the desert heat. What gives?
From what I have read the ones being sold, approximately 3,000 units, are part of the original 5,000 first issue pistols, some call them trials pistols, that Sig says the Army sent back to have the controls changed to black which is apparently the new spec. Sig opted to swap them out instead and release the returned ones to the public like Colt did with the 1,000 or so M45a1s that came from the Marines.
Think about it, if you could buy one of the first 5,000 issued 1911’s, Garand’s or M1 carbines would you? Not saying these will be as collectible or valuable as one one those, but the Providence is there and the potential.

·
Registered
428 Posts
From what I have read the ones being sold, approximately 3,000 units, are part of the original 5,000 first issue pistols, some call them trials pistols, that Sig says the Army sent back to have the controls changed to black which is apparently the new spec. Sig opted to swap them out instead and release the returned ones to the public like Colt did with the 1,000 or so M45a1s that came from the Marines.
Think about it, if you could buy one of the first 5,000 issued 1911’s, Garand’s or M1 carbines would you? Not saying these will be as collectible or valuable as one one those, but the Providence is there and the potential.
This is essentially the correct story. Other than the controls switched to black color, the slide also received a modification to the treatment resulting in a color that better matches the frame (same as the Commercial P320 M17/M18 slides) and is more durable (I believe the new coating is PVD but don't quote me).

There are some crazy prices for these things on various forums and GB as well....I got the pick of a litter of 5 at my LGS, at the suggested retail price of $699. I think once the hysteria dies down, given that there isn't another large batch the floods the market, these will probably sell fairly consistently in the $1000 range, give or take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts