Sig Scorpion

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by too_pure, Feb 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Picked up my newest 1911 a couple days ago and got to ring it out this morning. All in all I'm totally satisfied, even a little impressed. One thing you'll notice in the pictures is that Sig has started cutting the slide to more closely resemble a traditional 1911 in front of the dust cover. That was always a sticking point with me and I probably wouldn't have been able to bring myself to buy it if still had that awkward angled cut like the older ones.

The gun feels great in my hand. The combination of the G10 Hogues with the G10 MSH/magwell that matches the grips and the front strap checkering gives a great purchase on he gun. It did not slide around in my hand at all like others do, especially when you start to sweat. The contours of the grip are just right. I had a Springer Loaded that always just felt wrong and uncomfortable in my hands. The Scorpion is comfortable to shoot with a thumbs forward grip.

The fit and finish is what you'd expect from a < $1k pistol. You can see the rails are not perfectly flush with the slide in the back, just like my old Combat Elite. There is a very small amount of side-to-side play in the slide to frame fit. The bushing fit is the tightest I've ever had (Colt and SA) but still removable with bare hands. The lock-up is nothing special, the slide goes back easy and feels like it's on ball bearings. Very nice. The contour of the top of the slide and the rail add some weight up front which I like.

The 2 supplied magazines shoot out when the release is pressed and are kind of a bitch to load but they will loosen up. Didn't get to evaluate the night sights yet because it was bright sun but they are good Novak style sights that I had no trouble acquiring a sight picture with.

It has a GI style guide rod set-up, but the guide rod is two piece and did come unscrewed some. I'll be adding some Locktite to that. And the spring seems a little on the weak side for me. Not sure what it came with but I am used to a tighter spring.

I shot 100 rounds of Magtech 230 gr FMJ about 50 rounds of hand-loaded 200 gr plated hollow points and about 50 rounds of hand-loaded 230 gr plated round nose. I did have one malfunction, and it is not one that I've ever seen before... the last round in a Wilson 47D, instead of chambering, ended up in a stovepipe type position, case-head up, bullet down, sticking out of the ejection port. Having a hard time wrapping my head around how that can even happen, but something to keep an eye on. Other than that it was all good. I plan on picking up some Wilson ETM's for this gun. Spent cases all landed about 4 feet away at 3:30-4:00.

The accuracy was good. I'm not a competition shooter and don't consider myself qualified to evaluate accuracy other than in my mediocre hands at 15 yards it performed as good as any other 1911 I've shot.

So all in all a good gun for a fair price in my estimation. I'm glad to have it in the collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Dang,.......that looks great!

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Congrats! Looks good.

4. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks!

Forgot to mention the trigger. It has a good amount of uptake and the reset is longer than I'm used to. But it's a nice clean break around 5.5 lbs in my estimation. I'm getting used to the "flattish" profile. Feels a little weird but I bet I'll get used to it.

5. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Good write up. I think the Scorpion is ugly, but for some reason I really want one.

I'm confused

6. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats! :thumb:

7. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    It's got a GI length guide rod, but it's in two pieces screwed together. Surprised me, too.

8. John

Oct 7, 2011
    Never seen/heard that before. That's crazy.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Handled one at a show, and it felt solid in my hands.

10. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Congrats and enjoy :thumb:.

11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    I still want one and it's so not what I prefer in a 1911.

12. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I see this gun as not "really" a 1911, but for a 1911 shooter who wanted something different without resorting to DA/SA, or striker fired, or double stack.

I like the other Sigs like the 229, but that first trigger pull always turns me off.

13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    It's a 1911,........it's just a bit differently shaped.

Many state a railed 1911 is NOT a 1911. In my eyes, it's a 1911 with a rail!
    So it's STILL a 1911,......just a bit different.

14. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Nice writeup and great photos.

I agree, the guide rod description threw me off too.

How do you like that intermediate-length thumb safety?

Andy

15. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I like it. I'm not a big fan of extended safeties and my all time favorite is the one that came on old Commanders, you can see it in my avatar.

16. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Gotcha. Yeah, I've found I prefer thumb safeties where the "shelf" starts farther back. I feel I can get better leverage using the meatier part of the thumb closer to the base of the thumb, as opposed to closer to the tip of the thumb. Man, that's hard to describe without using anatomical terms. :lol:

Andy

17. jtelli71

jtelli71 New Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Is the Scorpion model the same spec's as the Tac Op's model?

18. John

Oct 7, 2011
    Different finish, Scorpion has a flat trigger, Tac Ops has a threaded barrel, Tac Ops magwell and MSH are metal. Other than that I think they're pretty much the same.

19. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'm exactly the same. I like the "paddle", as I've seen it described, to go all the way back. Just the most comfortable for my hand.

20. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I second that.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted