Sigh STI...

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by ZArugby, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    I received my special-ordered STI EDGE yesterday from Georgetown, TX.
    I had bought it sight unseen from Dan at BBP, and I asked him to ship it for me back to STI to have a 9mm barrel made and fitted. It was a 38 Super and having both barrels was something I really wanted, in addition to a lighter trigger.
    Gun came in yesterday with 2 barrels in 38 super. DOH!
    So, its on its way back to STI to have the thing I initially asked for to be done.

Busa Dave, Dwe, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Disappointing. Hope it’s made right, and soon.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Attention to detail.

Tell them to triple check your Mag Release/Catch.

Dwe, gps man, MHarvey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Oh that's so disappointing. Sorry.

5. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    That’s inexcusable. Wow

Dwe likes this.
  6. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Your order taker/reseller should have made sure about that before it was shipped to you. Part of the "value add service" supposedly. One reason I always order and follow up directly whenever possible. Sorry you are having to go through this!

7. Excursion12

Excursion12 Member

Jun 9, 2018
    What issue have they been having with the Mag catches?

8. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Several of the Staccato C’s that have been received by members here, myself included, have had the mag catch not finished very well. This makes inserting and even dropping mags a pain, as the mag catch doesn’t completely disengage from the mag. Jollyroger worked on his and from his pics and advice, I repaired mine as well. Not a big deal, but would’ve been better to have had it properly done by STI before leaving their hands. You can see his pics from his thread here:
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/staccato-c-vs-wilson-xtac-compact.61473/

9. Pablomigraine

Pablomigraine Whatchoo gots?

Feb 17, 2018
    I really try to adhere to the "Thumper Rule".... but I just have nothing good to say about STI in the last few years.

I checked out a brand new Edge in 38 super at a dealer. Rattled like a tin of Altoids. They had a new Guardian 2011 there as well. The Feed ramp looked like an emery board and the thumb safety could be disengaged by tapping the grip on the table in a downward motion.

My buddy picked up a Hextac last year just before they were discontinued... looking at the gun from the top the Hex Pattern Rear Slide Serrations did not match up... the mill lines where the side of slide met the top were offset by a few MM... and that was the least of the problems. The Grip Safety had so much play in it side to side it pinched you, and it would feed NOTHING except ball ammo. Front sight was a mess. And I've heard about more problems than happy customers lately here and elsewhere. Used to be the opposite was true by a fair margin.

All that said the 2014 VIP 45 I spent a bunch of time with last year was truly a VERY high quality pistol right out of the box, and a BARGAIN considering the overall quality and attention to detail with respect to the price. Plus it would probably feed empty brass if I asked it to.

Everyone says they've made big changes there recently (I assume aside from discontinuing 80% of their models, even the ones they just introduced not even a year ago) so I have high hopes, but the first round of Staccato owners seem to be having a whole slew of issues too.

Really hoping they shape up, because I REALLY like the 2011 platform in a "Stock" gun not designed just for racing... and STI is really the only game in town there.

Here's to the future!

10. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    What slew of issues are these? I follow STI pretty closely and the single issue I’ve heard of with the Staccato is the sticky mag release issue. I talked to a smith at STI today about it and they are aware of and are fixing the problem.

I’ve read your previous posts about the 2 STI’s you handled and had issues with... I’ve had over 50 STI’s run through my collection over the years and I’ve seen nothing even remotely similar to what you describe.

11. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    STI has too many problems. Very spotty across the board in all areas which with owner and capitol issues can happen. The name STI to me anyway means they were a pretty cool product back in the day but now it is pretty much caveat emptor. Fan boys will be in support but they are getting fewer and fewer. None of the people I shoot with consider them now.

12. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I know people with over 50K rounds through their STIs with no issues. One has almost 80,000 at this point.

My Staccato-C has had no issues and is far more accurate than such a short barrel should be. The Tactical is the same.

Sorry, beyond Pablomigraine, I've not heard complaints.

MHarvey and BBP like this.
  13. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Many of us can say this.

MHarvey and BBP like this.
  14. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I did a lot of looking around on the web before I committed to purchasing my Staccato C. It seemed like reviews of STI’s were 75% good and 25% bad, so I figured I’d give it a shot. Most of the issues seemed to revolve around the previous owners, and it seemed like with the new group they want to take the company in the right direction. This was the first STI that I have any experience with and aside from the mag catch issue, I don’t have any complaints. That took all of 10 minutes to fix and has been fine since. The gun is very tight, the slide feels like it’s on bearings compared to my Wiley Clapp CCO, and the trigger is great. I don’t have a local dealer, so I bought it during the pre-sale without being able to handle one at all. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, it’s been an impressive little gun. I’ve only got around 500 rounds through it right now with various ammo, but it’s never missed a beat.

15. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm new to the STI game. I got a 14 year old Range Master 1911, and a new 2011 Marauder limited edition a few weeks ago. Just received a 2011 Tactical 4.0 today. Every one of them has zero manufacturing issues and I couldn't be happier with them. Sorry to hear others haven't had the same experience as me. I'll be buying many more in the future.

HOGRIDER likes this.
  16. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’m in the same boat as you. I have a laughable amount of STI’s ranging in age from early 2000’s production to just a few weeks old. My guns run period. The law of averages tells us if they were putting out the quality that Pablomigraine claims I would have one in my collection by now.

HOGRIDER, BBP and firecatwilson like this.
  17. ptd

ptd New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Meh I am 50/50 so far with my STI's, a Staccato-C picked up locally that had consistent ftrtb issues, and a Staccato-P from [email protected] that runs perfectly. STI did take care of the C door to door in less than a week, they were professional, apologetic, and communicated the issue with me via a phone call along with a follow-up note.

Am I emotionally scarred and triggered? Stuff happens. That said I do have another on order from Dan... and I am currently debating a fourth... I drank the kool-aid...

-pd

HOGRIDER likes this.
  18. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    Well so far I am batting zero with 2 STIs. My Tactical had to go back in to them due to complete failure to fire.
    And I STILL haven't heard a word from them on when my EDGE will be ready.
    As far as I am concerned, I wish I had never contacted Dan in the first place and bought these 2 pistols.

I will go with a Dan Wesson Elite Chaos and be done with this shithouse of a brand

I'm really pissed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019