Sight changes to alter POA/POI

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by JayHRC51, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JayHRC51

JayHRC51 New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    I have a couple questions about sights and what people have done to change things around. I've seen some posts about sights that are easier to acquire (fiber optics) but I didn't really see anything specific to sight picture changes.

My LB Operator is shooting with sight picture 3. I am not a fan of that sight picture. All my other pistols shoot with sight picture 2 and I don't want to change my style to accommodate one pistol.

For people that have used the 10-8 or Harrison .375 rear sight (just changing the rear sight and leaving the front Trijicon in place), did this change the pistol to shoot with sight picture 2? What kind of point of impact changes did you notice at different distances?

I'm also thinking about changing out the front sight to a Dawson fiber optic so that it's easier to pick up (40+ year old eyes). If I can just match the Trijicon factory height and rely on the height change from the taller rear I think that would make things easier. Also are there any suggestions on width if the rear has a .140 notch? What were your personal experiences with different widths?

sight images.jpg

2. 10mm Guy

10mm Guy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Along for the ride on this one...

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Before you make any changes, you need to find out what distance your sights are zeroed from the factory. For example, Heine Straight 8's are zeroed at 20 yards. That's further than most people shoot, so your holdover will be determined by your distance.
    I prefer to shoot Point of Aim, Point of Impact (Center Hold), like Image 3. If you prefer 6 o'clock hold (Image 1) or I believe it's call sub Center Hold (Image 2), you need to find out at what distance it's hitting that at.
    Also, I'd be more willing to change out the front sight than rear. Lot of times you'll see the rear sight total height and think, 'Dayum, that thing is high!' but you may find it has a deep notch cut into it.
    Remember, to lower your impact spot, decrease the height of your front sight, or increase the height of your rear sight and the reverse to raise the impact

4. JayHRC51

JayHRC51 New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    You've got that backwards. See the below picture. Adding rear height would have the same a result as reducing the front, raising the POI.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what the factory sights are zeroed for. They aren't zeroed for my typical pistol shooting distances and they need to change.

During my last range trip I was shooting 3-4" 30 round groups @ 12 yards with my M&P full size. Granted, that gun has an Apex FSS kit in it and this LB Operator is in desperate need of a trigger job, but still, I was all over the place with the 1911 because I don't like the front dot to completely cover the bullseye. I was shooting the M&P and LBO back to back. I know what I'm capable of and I know the gun is more accurate than I am but all of that is meaningless if I can see what I'm aiming at because the front sight is covering what I'm trying to see. I like being able to see just the top half of a bullseye sitting on top of my front sight, and I expect my pistols to hit that point if I'm inside of 20 yards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a who prefers what sight picture discussion. I know and specified what sight picture I'm trying to accomplish. I'm just trying to find out what impact the .375 sight had with those that used it paired with a standard height Trijicon front sight. And I don't think that .050 is going to make a sight suddenly seem gigantic. That's like a 1/16th of an inch in height.

Sight adjustment changes.png

xerts1191 likes this.
  5. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Call Springfield Armory they can give you the information your looking for. I sent my TRP back and they switched my sights to poa/poi free of charge, shipping included.

6. JayHRC51

JayHRC51 New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    I'm not sure what info Springfield could share about using an aftermarket rear sight that they don't sell. It would be cool to have them change sights for free, unfortunately I don't like anything they have. I don't want a different set of Trijicons. If I'm going through the effort of changing sights I'm definitely getting what I want the first time around.

7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    To remember sight changes just always remember the rear sight changes in the direction you want the shot to go. If lower then lower rear or raise front, if higher shot is desired then raise rear and or lower front.. If you really want to make totally sure order a rear adjustable sight, takes all the guess work out of it. And BTW Springfield will give you absolutely zero information about your gun now. Things have drastically changed there in the last year. They do not volunteer any information what so ever. Won't even tell you spring weights.. Another thing is that Dawson Precision and Kensight, as well as novak all offer information on their websites about sight heights and choosing the right ones for your gun.

JayHRC51 likes this.
  8. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    If you don't NEED that night sight, I suggest getting with Dawson for a set of sights on their Perfect Impact plan. If the sights they send you don't zero, they will replace the front with a different height. Or just buy adjustable from Dawson or Kensight.

SA has their own adjustable that gives a "barn door" sight picture in a Novak cut.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetL...s&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted