Sight patterns... 3 dot, 2 dot (straight eight) or front dot?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awpk03s, Oct 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    What do you like and prefer and why? For a defensive pistol, not target/range gun.

I had always used a 3-dot tritium setup, but with my Nighthawk pistols went with Heinie straight eight 2-dot setups, just to try something different.

Personally, I think that I pick up the 3 dot picture faster than a 2 dot. I am looking at options to swap rear sights to allow that... I tried and liked the 10-8 rear and front dot setup also. For me I think I prefer 3 dot, but close second would be a blank rear and single dot front.

What do you all prefer?

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Currently using a 10-8 rear and tritium front, but want to replace the factory front on the EMP. Not a fan. Liked it better on my Kobra Carry, as the front ring was outlined better. Probably going to give a brass bead front a run with the 10-8 rear. Hear a lot of good feedback about it.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I really only like front dot only. I am getting to where I can not stand three dots anymore.

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    front dot only. i was using the factory tritium, but installed Dawson FO's on 2 guns that didn't have a tritium front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Shot his 9mm MilSpec with the FO front a few weeks ago. AWESOME sight picture. :thumb:

6. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I still like three dots, its easier for me to line up a shot.

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I like no dot. Black on black. I have a flashlight.

8. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Love the straight 8's for low light shooting. Beats the 3 dot by a long shot.

For SD the bigger the front dot the better. Panic and anxiety will affect my ability to line them up and as long as I can put the front sight on target I think I'll be ok.

9. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Straight Eights for Defensive stuff (low light)

Normal Shooting Black Rear, front FO or I want to try the Brass Bead next

10. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have always liked the 3 dot, but am starting to gravitate towards an all black rear sight with a tritium or FO front sight.

11. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I was always a three-dot guy because that is how my teeth were cut back in my Navy P226 days.....I have never been able to warm up to the Straight 8 sight picture, and to be honest, I shoot like **** with it for some reason. In my last couple of purchased pistols, I have been migrating toward the 10-8 style rear serrated sight and either a gold bead or tritium front. The more I work with that sight setup, the more I believe I am a little quicker to acquire the front sight on target picture. The gold bead front just jumps out.....

12. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I like the three dot system, but on my Taurus when I sent it in to Novaks I had them put on a blank, wide notch rear with a brass bead front and I've come to really like that. On my Springfield, it has the 3dot mil-spec. I'm not a fan of FO and other night sight systems.

13. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Primarily, I've only ever shot a tritium 3-dot or black on black setups. I really dislike the black on black setup. I want to pick up a Dawson FO front sight for my RIA, so that will be dot front/plain rear which I've never shot. I'm also looking into switching my 22 pistol and G17 to a FO front. Possibly a plain or FO rear for the G17 too.

14. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Im running a 10-8 rear and tritium front on both my CQB and UTC, which i like. I would love to try a gold bead at some point, but my thought is that tritium gives the best versatility. If its daylight, its easy enough to see, and it definitely gives the best visibility in the dark.

I have a FO front on my trojan, and it is awesome in daylight, but almost disappears in dim lighting.

15. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Front dot only for me.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted