Sight Picture for Valor

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Roju, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Roju

Roju New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    What should the sight picture be for a Valor Commander 9mm?

I currently am used to the combat sights of the P226 and P229.

I’ve only dry fired the Valor but I can’t believe how natural it feels in my hand. It seems like I have better purchase on the Valor than my Sigs which have wider grips.

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The straight 8 sights that come on the Valor will lend itself to two different sight pictures. While I am not a fan of Night sights personally, I do like the idea behind the straight 8's.. So it's like this. Or at least this is what I found to be true on the Dan Wessons I have owned and shot with that particular sight set up on them. If you lift the front sight up out of the rear pocket and just lay the dots on top of each other and use a combat sight picture at 6 O'clock it should be on the money at about 10-15 yards. If you lift the front sight up further out of the rear pocket and line them up in a conventional sight picture then you should be able to shoot poa=poi.. At least this is what I have found on my guns.

Dub and 1911 dawg like this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  4. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
  5. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Pull the trigger, guns shoot different at different ranges. The gun will teach you.

Capthobo and Steve Owens like this.
  6. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    When I cover it shoots high. It must be more of a 6 O'c hold at 35'. My other DWs shoot more of a tactical sight pic than my Valor for some reason at that range. Or just be old man eyes. That is my sight pic that you posted. Covering target.

Dub and Steve Owens like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Every gun is going to differ and Most production guns they use a .180 front sight for Gov. And Commander So like my Pal Scarmouche said the gun will ultimately teach you where the sights hold. That hold he posted for me is a 6 oclock. And a low 6 oclock. then if I raise to even then it's poa=poi on my gun.. lock up, how much upper lug engagement, any variance of tolerance ect.. all gonna affect how the gun actually reacts to a set of sights on a factory pistol.

Dub likes this.
  8. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Jeeez! I can't remember what cereal I had for breakfast by lunchtime, guess I need a crib sheet for my pistols!! (That's like u-tube vids for you youngsters)

9. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I didn't like the Straight-8 sights. My Valor has had a Dawson FO front and a black 10-8 rear on it for years now.

10. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    If it shoots high or low, DW will replace the front sight with a different height sight for free.

[​IMG]

Dub likes this.
  11. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    The only guns I’ve bought from DW that had .180” front sights were two custom guns that I specifically ordered with those sights. The other 18 guns had .140” or .160” front sights.

Dub likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted