1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I've said elsewhere, I had been shooting SiG's almost exclusively for the past few years until my 1911 Relapse last month. All my SiG's wore the X-Ray 3 sights, and I think I may have inadvertently handicapped myself because I'm having trouble adjusting to me new Dan Wesson 1911's.

Both pistols wear Trijicon "Straight 8" type sights. For whatever reason, I find myself focusing on the sights and not my target when acquiring. My focus bounces back and forth between sight / target.

If anyone else has had this same difficulty I would love to hear any tips / tricks or self-training disciplines they've found helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You should focus on your front sight when firing. Now whether it is "soft" or "hard" focus is up for debate and really dependent on the type of shooting you are looking to do as well as target distance.

You could always get a Trijicon HD front for your 1911 that will be almost identical to the X-Ray front sight, but if it were me I'd spend the money on ammo for practice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Focus on your front sight, your target should be a little "burry." Then, it's just a matter of figuring out where to hold, given your target, and distance to your target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Could just paint front like I did to make it stand out

Photograph Office equipment Line Black Grey

·
I keeed I keeed.....
2,172 Posts
Could just paint front like I did to make it stand out

View attachment 106884
Ive been wanting to do this on my Valor. What color is that, and where did you get it? Also how did you make it come out clean on the application....toothpick?

Thanks in advance Whiten.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
line up the Tops of the sights===equal height+ equal light" (on either side of the front sight as sighted through the rear.)just like the nra safety course teaches you. focus only on the top of the front sight.. slow trigger squeeze and follow through... you win

Reactions: cghelton

·
Registered
644 Posts
Had the same issues. Was strictly an all Sig guy as well. And had trouble with my DW's and my Xtac. Don't care for the WC Battlesights myself. But I finally got it figured out. Definitely focus on the front site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Dan Wesson has an all black rear sight without the night sight vial. I have changed both my ECO and Val. CCO to the plain sight and it made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Ive been wanting to do this on my Valor. What color is that, and where did you get it? Also how did you make it come out clean on the application....toothpick?

Thanks in advance Whiten.
Toothpick and spray paint. I put the slide vertical and let paint flow on to the sight. Let dry before I removed from vice. I get pic of color when I get home.

Reactions: Pennywise827
1 - 9 of 9 Posts