1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Seems pricey for being a Noname set of sights.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Staking in a front sight isn’t a walk in the park. I’d stick with whatever is staked in front, and replace the rear with one of these.
https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/ I had one and would send it to you but I already sent it to someone else on here a few weeks ago.

Barring that I’d send it to Novaks or someone else to have the slide dovetail cut and open up your options.

·
الواحد
990 Posts
Personally if I was going to stick with something somewhat original to the gun I’d do a Harrison Design Retro rear and trijicon (will need machining) front. You can send your slide to them to do the work or to a competent gunsmith.

This set up was done by @Integrity Arms and I plan on having him do the same on one of my guns
22214E88-9437-4883-A44C-017539853F46.jpeg

12544B25-BB92-4076-BA93-9C6DED623808.jpeg

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I'll have to agree with fieldgrade. I staked one front sight and it was or seemed crooked to me which drove me crazy. I end up shipping it to Novaks for sight cuts and sights.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/ I had one and would send it to you but I already sent it to someone else on here a few weeks ago.
I will have to measure the Front sight.
I have the sights that came on the 1951 Civilian model but they are the same as
the Military 1911 sights. Was hoping to end up with a better sight set, & not
have to cut or modify the 1951 slide.
As you can see the front & rear sights do not belong to a 1951 Colt.
Since this is my Birthday 1911 I will install the stock sights before I cut the slide.
Mikes 1951C.JPG
Mikes 1951E.JPG

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Then I’d just replace the rear with a GI style, or the 10-8 or Harrison that both have a very traditional look to them if the rear slide cut hasn’t been milled differently.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Also, if you don’t already have some digital calipers, I’d get a set. They practically give them away on Amazon. I think I paid $17 for a set and they are great for measuring sights, sight notches, sight height, front blade height, width, rear sight height, everything

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not looking to be troublesome but this is only 1 1911 & it's my year of birth 1951,.
I have searched & found this one for, 1/2 the cost of a complete 80 to 90% 1951.

I love the fact we can cut a slot in our slides & use almost anything Gold & Tru-Glo
etc. For now in my life, I have a 1911 that is as old as me, I know not why the hell it matters
but it does. :happy:

So this is just a want not a need. This one Colt 1911 is the only one I own that
will not ever
get cut. So that's it, nothing I can not live without just dreams of an old Man.:rolleyes:
Old guy.jpg

Dreams of a Birthday Colt 1911. ;)

·
Dremel jockey
4,307 Posts
The current rear dovetail looks larger than a stock sight cut.

Reactions: Infidel4life11

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The current rear dovetail looks larger than a stock sight cut.
Front sight is thicker than the sight for a 1951 Colt Civilian 1911.

The front is a staked sight & it could be that the slide mounting hole has been modified
from the thin 1911 type sight. Holes can be made smaller & some one made the
adj rear sight. For now I just want to see what my options are for sight replacement.

The rear sight is hanging over the rear like an after thought. The weekend Gunsmith who
built this 1911 should have had there Brownell's card cancelled. LOL

Remember for me this will be a fun gun, a gun for nothing but throwing big Booolets.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
It sorta looks like the Kensight Adjustable Rear sight I bought from Caspian for $64.27 Tactical Adjustable Sight St # S24NT.

Karsten

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is how they describe it.
This is a Fully Adjustable sight Set, White Outline, for the Colt Gov't 1911-A1 Pistol. This sight sits "Low Profile" and made to work with the front sight in the package. Additional wrenches are included in the package. These are LPA brand sights that come from Italy, they are top quality. The rear sight is fully adjustable, for elevation and windage, so you may adjust it in any way to your liking to correct your pistols point of impact. The sight set is made of steel construction, Not Plastic. These sights use the original dovetails/slots on the pistol slide. These are the best sights on the market today to improve your pistols sighting. LPA Part Number SPR45CT18.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is a nice sight with a white dot front.
https://stores.kensight.com/kensigh...nment-model-gi-fixed-arctic-white-rear-sight/
I really do not need an adj sight, the white dot sights I have on my 2011 look and work well.

This pistol is just for fun, but fun includes being able to see the sights well.

Kensight looks good & my front notch may be for later 1911 A1 .
I will do some measurements, I will be getting my new Vennier Clippers
tomorrow. The width of the front sight should be the same as the exposed
part. Rear sight should be easy the rear sticks out both rear & sides, a sloppy
sight to be sure.

This sight will fit the MIL-SPEC "GI" dovetail seen on most common 1911 A1 and Government 1911 configurations. The 0.200" tall rear sight, pairs nicely with a .150"-.180" tall front sight on a standard 5" slide. The sight includes two 0.070" Arctic White Dots for quick target acquisition.

Technical Information

• Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Steel
  • Finish: Black Oxide
  • Rear Sight Blade Type: 0.70" Recessed Arctic White Dots
  • Sight Dovetail:"GI" or MIL-SPEC Government Dovetail
  • Dovetail Dimensions: .348" x 65° x 108"
Maybe I just found the right sight set.

https://stores.kensight.com/staked-...ll-black-target-blade-w-a-recessed-white-dot/

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Most GS have staking tools and won't charge much to stake a sight.
At least that's been my experience.
I like the Frt Sight with the big white ball, should be easy to see

Reactions: KS95B40 and Mike A

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know me as a tool nut, so these tools are available & inexpensive.
The trick to using a Snap on sight tool is, well they do not make one so. :p
Take more time setting the cheap tool up, & always be sure it will not
move when it's being used.

Cheap tools will work, but you must also do more work. The more costly
tools will do more to help you so do your job & it will work out.

I wish Snap On made Gunsmithing tools, :happy: I would have them all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts