Sights for Colt Wiley Clapp 9mm Commander

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Leadslinger585, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    While the sights on the Colt Wiley Clapp 9mm Commander are decent, I do prefer taller sights with less clearance.

I'm thinking a Yost Gold line front sight with a Harrison Design rear sight. The Yost sight is .125" wide. The Harrison rear sight is .140" wide.

Now my favorite Glock sight are Warren Tactical carry sights (if you're inclined to make a quip about glock, you can go ahead and let yourself out. You Luddite :D) has a .125" front sight width and a .150" rear width.

The Harrisons are smaller in clearance compared to the Warrens, leaving you with only .015" clearance between the front and rear sight. How much is that going to suck? I assume a competent machinist could probably machine it out, unless there's some kind of structural problem that prohibits that. Would that work?

Alternatively, if the rear sight cannot be milled out wider, what are some identical sights to the Harrisons with a .150" width?

And just out of curiosity are these the sights that are on the WC 9mm Commander?

Novak Dovetail Front .075" Base Brass Bead .180"
    Novak LoMount Carry 1911 Plain Black Super Wide Notch

Thanks fellas!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Harrison has .140 and .170 rear sights, he also has a gunsmith one that has to be cut to your specs. You could just send the slide to Harrison as he sells/installs Yost gold line sights.

Leadslinger585 likes this.

3. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Think the .125 and .140 will work decently, or is that likely to be too tight?

4. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    There will be more than .015 of light on both sides of front sight. You have to remember the front sight is farther from you so it will take up less space in the rear sight picture.

Leadslinger585 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted