Single handgun safe for newbies?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jmr986, Aug 1, 2020.

1. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I now have 2 more 2a converts in the family, my brother and his son-in-law. They went polymer, but I still forgive them. The main purpose is to keep the guns safe from the granddaughters/daughters. Home defense is a distant second, for now.

I was thinking simple push button code, as opposed to biometric, screwed to the back of a closet. The girls are little so up high should work for a while. The only safe I have is a full size. So any advice from owners would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I had one of those single safes with a pickproof barrel key. I mounted it to a shelf in a closet, and hid the key close by and high up. It was cheap, secure, no batteries to run out, and always worked quickly when needed.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    what about a trigger lock?

jmr986 likes this.
  4. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I have both a push button combination and a small key lock safe ..
    Both sit mounted to a shelf one in the mud room and one in the bedroom.
    I like the key better than the push button..
    I keep one key on my keychain and one hidden above the small safe..
    Its easy and simple..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft Knox

Mike Meints likes this.
  6. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    I do NOT recommend the MiniVaults by GunVault.

The motor/actuator/opener mechanism has a long track record of breakage -- have had two of them die on me. They still open with the key, but quick access goes away when it breaks.

7. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
  8. TW85

TW85 Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Fort Knox, Amsec, and V Line all make Pistol safes with simplex (mechanical) locks. I’ve had my Fort Knox for over ten years now and it was definitely worth it.

9. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I've always used Fort Knox for home and business. I've had one push button code go bad and they immediately shipped out the new improved version to me no charge on my 20 yr old safe. Customer service has always been friendly and Top notch... Image%20(1).jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I had a V-Line in-wall safe and was very impressed. The simple tactile mechanical button system is great.

Watch “The Lockpicking Lawyer” channel on YouTube and you’ll lose all confidence in the majority of small “gun safes” and trigger locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 340pd

340pd Member

Jul 29, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted