1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I started with a used Rockchucker and have a Hornady classic now for single stage loading. The Hornady quick change dies are pretty convenient if you load multiple calibers. I still keep the RC for larger caliber rifle calibers and depriming. Inline Fabrication makes a case ejector system for the RC and the Hornady that speeds up brass processing. Case Kicker makes something similar. Both presses have loaded equally accurate match rifle ammo with quality dies. If you are not sure if you want to reload look for used one. Fair warning, loading pistol ammo on a single stage is extremely time consuming which may not matter now given the lack of components. I’ve had good luck with Lee carbide dies for pistol calibers and are more budget friendly.

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,094 Posts
My first press was a Rockchucker. Still have it/use it. I bought the Hornady bushing that allows the use of their quick change collars so make die changes faster. Load .357 mag and 30-06 on it.

My .45 Auto, 9mm, and 5.56 get loaded on my 550B

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Thanks , looks like another Challenging situation ! Primer shortage , no idea about powder [ i'm sure it's an issue ] - projectiles [ bullets ] ?/
Started looking for the RCBS - out of stock !!
That's the downside of reloading with the current nonsense going on . What calibers? What are you going to load for? Hunting? Target shooting? And what kind of rifles. You load gas guns differently then bolt actions.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Heard great things about RCBS Rockchuckers, RCBS is only about 20 min from my house. I went with a Dillon 750 for the 9 and .45 I do now. I have a Forster Co-ax I snagged off the Hide for when I start loading rifle rounds. The biggest thing I see being an issue for you is components and how much of a commitment you want to make for what you get out of it. If you are retired, a single stage may be the answer, I live in komifornia where internet ammo purchases are no longer legal so it was worth the time and $ to me to get the Dillon set up properly. YMMV. Either way, good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Heard great things about RCBS Rockchuckers, RCBS is only about 20 min from my house. I went with a Dillon 750 for the 9 and .45 I do now. I have a Forster Co-ax I snagged off the Hide for when I start loading rifle rounds. The biggest thing I see being an issue for you is components and how much of a commitment you want to make for what you get out of it. Of you are retired, a single stage may be the answer, I live in komifornia where internet ammo purchases are no longer legal so it was worth the time and $ to me to get the Dillon set up properly. YMMV. Either way, good luck!
Sad fact about the People's republic? There used to be a great reloading store in the San Fernando Valley. The guy covered a LOT of brands and the store was huge. Sadly the internet sales killed him and he folded the store. Your screwed both ways. Great stores killed by internet, some dropped reloading stuff due to internet sales and now no internet sales.

·
born in the wrong century
4,248 Posts
You will always have a use for a quality single stage....even if you go on to add progressive presses.

Rockchucker Supreme is a solid press.....I had one years ago and let a buddy take it off my hands.....wish I still had it now.

The money spent on a Forster Co-Ax will be money you will never regret. If I was starting over and would listen to my own advice I would have bought this one and hung onto it....and added other gear around it.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
You will always have a use for a quality single stage....even if you go on to add progressive presses.

Rockchucker Supreme is a solid press.....I had one years ago and let a buddy take it off my hands.....wish I still had it now.

The money spent on a Forster Co-Ax will be money you will never regret. If I was starting over and would listen to my own advice I would have bought this one and hung onto it....and added other gear around it.
My CoAx normally is for precision rifle ammo, but given the speed and ease of changing calibers, I'm working up 9mm loads on it. But... loading pistol on a single stage drives me crazy.

BTW the new enclosed shell holders are really fast and easy. 2 minutes from 30 cal to 9mm.

·
born in the wrong century
4,248 Posts
My CoAx normally is for precision rifle ammo, but given the speed and ease of changing calibers, I'm working up 9mm loads on it. But... loading pistol on a single stage drives me crazy.

BTW the new enclosed shell holders are really fast and easy. 2 minutes from 30 cal to 9mm.

That smooth changeover time is worth the extra cost all by itself. :thumbs:

Then there are the inherent uniformity gains.

Such a solid investment for the long haul.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Instead of your reloading thread, how about you just email me advice UB? Lord know I need one or the other.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
That smooth changeover time is worth the extra cost all by itself. :thumbs:

Then there are the inherent uniformity gains.

Such a solid investment for the long haul.
If you mean case and loaded round uniformity, the case is due to the press to self index the case by movement of the sizing die and the shell holder on the X-Y axis.

Loaded rounds? My TIR is rarely more then .002. I use a trick Mid Thompkins taught me in the late 70s.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I use a RC mostly for 223 and 300blk. It’s also good to pull bullets with.

They are out there, the last one I got I traded a box of bullets for. Roughly a 75 dollar trade each way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you're just planning on loading pistol for the near future, take a look at the Lee APP. I got mine to swage a bunch of crimped primer .223, but it's become my go to pistol press, I use it for 9mm and .45 ACP. For rifle, I switch back to my Rock Chucker. The APP with case feeder and collator will set you back a little over $100, but it's well worth it. I've loaded several thousand rounds with mine so far with no issues. I prefer single stage presses, but brass prep can get pretty tedious, the APP certainly speeds that up. With the RC, I figure my production rate was somewhere around 100 rds./hr., the APP has at least tripled that, maybe more. Good little unit, and it's available at Midway, or was as of the last couple of days. Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Another vote for RCBS, mine is a rockchucker and has never let me down. Slower, but I have or make the time, I don't mind handling the reloaded ammo at separate stages, I have caught a few "oops" over the years, not many but still I don't mind the single stage rythyum

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My 1971 Rockchucker will surely outlast me, but I wish it had better fired primer collection. Buying new, I would see what the other brands did.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Check out Inline Fabrication and eBay for improved primer catch systems for the Rockchucker and the Hornady presses. The Lee APP looks interesting especially for the money.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tally me down as another satisfied Rockchucker Supreme Kit customer:

From when I first got set up, at my old house:

5C4F112D-1243-40AC-8AD7-ABE258CAC059.jpeg

712574E7-B81B-4F1B-AEC6-992FA1243A2C.jpeg

·
Registered
840 Posts
A RCBS Jr will do everything you want and is good for a starter. The only thing bad about a RCBS Jr is that it doesn't have compound leverage like a Rockchucker. Little harder working the handle. A small creature comfort. If you reload for a few years the leverage isn't going to bother you as much as the loading speed. But that's progressive down the road maybe. A RCBS Jr is not a bad choice.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts