1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if many people have experienced this? If it is something serious I need to have fixed immediately or just new springs in a new gun?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
It is usually a slide stop to magazine follower issue. Either week spring not strong enough to lift the slide stop up or the slide stop lobe passed by the edge of the magazine follower.

Can you remove the slide and take a picture from the top down into the mag well with a magazine inserted?

Is it an issue? That up to you. A lot of competition shooters tune their pistols to not lock back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is usually a slide stop to magazine follower issue. Either week spring not strong enough to lift the slide stop up or the slide stop lobe passed by the edge of the magazine follower.

Can you remove the slide and take a picture from the top down into the mag well with a magazine inserted?

Is it an issue? That up to you. A lot of competition shooters tune their pistols to not lock back.
Is this photo ok?
20191016_010833.jpg

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Sorry my bad
Now can you put the slide back on, insert slide stop and a magazine and pull the slide back to see if it locks back while hand cycling? Post a pic of the side stop to slide stop notch interaction in the slide. Do not try and push the slide stop up by hand, just allow the magazine fallowed to do it. Post the results.

·
Banned
3,637 Posts
If it is something serious I need to have fixed immediately or just new springs in a new gun?
Good question. Just to be though look around the SS area in the frame also
look at the SS. The SS or frame should be smooth & free of burrs.

I bought a Ruger Security Six a while ago. It had a prominent line
where the Trigger group mates with the frame. It was not closed tight
I got/stole it & took some time hunting for a reason.

I found it just where the Spring loaded plunger rides up & locks. Cleaned
& removed the burs, & snaps shut tight as a drum. So much for a factory fit.

I have been cleaning/finishing up guns, for as long as I have owned them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts