1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new STI 1911 single stack 9mm. Shot it for the first time today and after the magazine was empty the slide wouldn’t lock back?

Had the guy at the gun shop look at it. All seemed normal. He messed with the follower on the Mec-gar mag and it worked.

Anyone else have to tweak a mag for it to work properly? Do some guns just hate certain mags?

Never experienced anything like this before.

Any help appreciated.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would your advice be to ask the gunsmith to see what he did to the magazine so I don’t have to take every mag I buy to him? I have no problem doing that, just wanna know if it’s a problem worth sending the gun in for. Or should I try a different manufacturer first?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,109 Posts
Mags and followers are the bane of 1911s.
You shouldn’t have to tweak a MecGar, but sometimes they don’t work out of the box.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mags and followers are the bane of 1911s.
You shouldn’t have to tweak a MecGar, but sometimes they don’t work out of the box.
Well I (foolishly) only brought one of the two that came with the gun. So I’ll see if the other works and it was just one mag that needed tweaking.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I have had a manufacturer send me a new slide stop before . Some times slide stops are made a little too small and are inconsistent . I've also had a Wilson lock back prematurely and had to file the slide stop . You may want to read Patrick Sweeney's book on Gunsmithing the 1911 . There's also good youtube videos on the issue of premature slide locking back or failing to lock back . You can take the slide off , put slide stop back in , insert mag and see what you need .

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stick with Wilson mags .
Do you prefer the 9 rounders with the small extended baseplate? The flat 8 rounder is kind of a pain to push in, as in I can shove it in with my palm sometimes. Does the 9 round plate stick out far or is it negligible?

Thanks again.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had a manufacturer send me a new slide stop before . Some times slide stops are made a little too small and are inconsistent . I've also had a Wilson lock back prematurely and had to file the slide stop . You may want to read Patrick Sweeney's book on Gunsmithing the 1911 . There's also good youtube videos on the issue of premature slide locking back or failing to lock back . You can take the slide off , put slide stop back in , insert mag and see what you need .
That’s what the gun smith started to say. That the slidestop may have had too much taken off. Would STI just send me a new/free one? It’s from an older (2016 I think?) hextac 3.0 9mm. Do they still make 1911s?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I’ve just gone through a similar situation with a Wilson ULCC 9mm, and my guess is that your recoil spring needs breaking in and/or the mag is bad. My WC mags locked back, but the Kimber mag wouldn’t after the last round. The Kimber mag would lock back if you manually racked the slide on an empty chamber. I ended up leaving the slide back for about 2 days, and the gun ran smoother and locked back when using the Kimber mag.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, usually the magazines, I have a few finicky ones. I rotate all of my 1911 mags with different pistols so it's not uncommon for me. I do like my Wilsons and McCormicks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,109 Posts
Don't file, replace, or polish anything until you get a new mag. I agree that sticking with WC mags are the way to go.
If the problem still occurs, look at your slide stop and see if there is a groove forming from where the thumb safety plunger is creating a groove in the slide stop. I just had that happen after 3 magazines of shooting in my EDC X9L. Luckily they sent me a new one and those don't need fitting. But, before I diagnosed anything, I tried 8 different mags and all were the same result.

Reactions: Kip and 41 Charlie

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't file, replace, or polish anything until you get a new mag. I agree that sticking with WC mags are the way to go.
If the problem still occurs, look at your slide stop and see if there is a groove forming from where the thumb safety plunger is creating a groove in the slide stop. I just had that happen after 3 magazines of shooting in my EDC X9L. Luckily they sent me a new one and those don't need fitting. But, before I diagnosed anything, I tried 8 different mags and all were the same result.

Sound advice. Just ordered a Wilson combat mag. Will update on the status when it arrives.

My worry is that they won’t carry the slide stops for my model anymore. Not sure how universal they are?

Thanks again to all who replied!

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve just gone through a similar situation with a Wilson ULCC 9mm, and my guess is that your recoil spring needs breaking in and/or the mag is bad. My WC mags locked back, but the Kimber mag wouldn’t after the last round. The Kimber mag would lock back if you manually racked the slide on an empty chamber. I ended up leaving the slide back for about 2 days, and the gun ran smoother and locked back when using the Kimber mag.

Don’t know how I missed this post. I was wondering about a “break in” period, since STIs are made with such tight tolerances. The slide seemed to lock back a bit more frequently towards the end, but I only shot 160 rounds or so.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,109 Posts
Sound advice. Just ordered a Wilson combat mag. Will update on the status when it arrives.

My worry is that they won’t carry the slide stops for my model anymore. Not sure how universal they are?

Thanks again to all who replied!
It's an STI and has a lifetime warranty. If a new mag doesn't change the issue, send it back. Just reach out and Ricky or one of the other guys will get you a RMA to return it. Let them worry about fitting a new slide stop (if necessary).
As for break-in period, not sure I've ever run into that in regards to last round hold open. Even on my SACs 1911s- and they are second only to Baers on how tight they are. Maybe even more so. Where it helps is in racking the slide more so than anything else.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Don’t know how I missed this post. I was wondering about a “break in” period, since STIs are made with such tight tolerances. The slide seemed to lock back a bit more frequently towards the end, but I only shot 160 rounds or so.
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve owned several STI’s (still have one), and I’ve never had one with tolerances any tighter than a Wilson. In my opinion, if you’ve lubed the rails, the tight tolerances should be less of an issue than a unbroken in recoil spring. I assume the STI has the recoilmaster system, correct?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Another aspect to consider is the amount of pressure the plunger tube spring puts on the slide stop.

I had one gun where all the geometries of the magazine follower and slide stop were good, but no magazine would raise the stop.

Further investigation revealed that the new pin set and springs I put into the gun were applying a lot of pressure on the stop, essentially pinning it into place.

I put the old pins and spring back into the gun, and problem solved.

Z

·
Registered
721 Posts
Before you go wild on mags, hacking on parts or getting an RMA from STI, consider that your pistol might be oversprung for the ammo you're using.

Lighter recoil spring or heavier ammo.

Get the cheapest, easiest stuff squared away first... ;)

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Another aspect to consider is the amount of pressure the plunger tube spring puts on the slide stop.

I had one gun where all the geometries of the magazine follower and slide stop were good, but no magazine would raise the stop.

Further investigation revealed that the new pin set and springs I put into the gun were applying a lot of pressure on the stop, essentially pinning it into place.
Interesting . Extremely possible .
I put the old pins and spring back into the gun, and problem solved.

Z

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Before you go wild on mags, hacking on parts or getting an RMA from STI, consider that your pistol might be oversprung for the ammo you're using.

Lighter recoil spring or heavier ammo.

Get the cheapest, easiest stuff squared away first... ;)

And then there's that ^^^ too. Sometimes the real problems are "less classic" than the "tried and (sometimes) true" solutions.

Good magazine springs with good follower contact are essential. If those don't solve the issue, look deeper into the machine . . . . . .

Reactions: Au Jus in Bello
1 - 20 of 31 Posts