1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are custom smiths using unmarked slides to build custom guns, is there a reliable person/business recommended for marking a slide. I know this can range from generic roll marking to electronic engraving or custom hand engraving. Was curious what route most guys are going and who they like to do the work.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,587 Posts
David Clevinger is the guy you're looking for. He is an outstanding engraver as well as a top notch 1911 'smith. He is also a member here.
www.dcengraving.com/

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check him out, is there anybody offering new roll marking? My understanding is that a skilled engraver can retouch existing roll marks or a builder could have the desired markings fully engraved either by hand or machine, have not had any luck finding a non manufacturer that does roll marking on blank slides however. I figure there must be somebody out there offering historical roll marks for replica guns etc. Have not settled on whether I want to go with a classy engraved look or straight forward "data plate" look, just exploring options.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,587 Posts
I will check him out, is there anybody offering new roll marking? My understanding is that a skilled engraver can retouch existing roll marks or a builder could have the desired markings fully engraved either by hand or machine, have not had any luck finding a non manufacturer that does roll marking on blank slides however. I figure there must be somebody out there offering historical roll marks for replica guns etc. Have not settled on whether I want to go with a classy engraved look or straight forward "data plate" look, just exploring options.
Turnbull can replicate original Colt rollmarks, I don't know that they'd put them on a blank slide. Lots of companies make "replicas" in that they're building 1911s and SAAs that are pretty much clones of the original designs but no one sells a "replica" of a Colt 1911 with Colt rollmarks, some are similar, but not matching. What, exactly, are you wanting on the slide? I understand that the Colt Custom Shop will do special rollmark requests on guns they're building.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe Ford's Guns in Florida offers laser engraving of historical rollmarks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the references, I'm weighing options at this point for a build I've been working on. I'm between having a simple model and caliber engraving done in script or other tasteful font, or if it is possible to source a fairly generic roll mark with model caliber and maybe patent dates or something along those lines that may give the look and feel of older production models. I did not build a replica and not looking for historically accurate markings. My perception would be it may be cheaper to have a somewhat generic roll mark done vs a custom hand engraving job, thus the debate between the two options. I've always been lukewarm on laser engraving from a cosmetic standpoint as it can generally be identified as such.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20190423_193200.jpg

For reference this is my first build and the one I'm speaking of, never mind the SA grips, they are placeholders until my brother finishes up some black walnut grips for me
Working on wrapping up finishing touches/ blending, will ultimately have blued finish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts