Slide spring recoil plug on a SA Compact

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Scalded_Dawg, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Just new here...

Jan 25, 2012
    Disclaimer: So bare with me, just getting into this stuff.

Here's the problem:
    This 1993 SA Compact has a strange recoil plug that is keyed to the slide, I can't find a similar replacement part:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plug wears out at the key, eventually cracking it and bending it back.
    This one is not that bad yet, but is getting out of round. I've replaced it once before.

[​IMG]

I was going to replace it with a guide rod system but am now re-thinking that.

Is it possible to replace this plug with a regular style, retained by the barrel bushing instead?
    Understanding I would need a new barrel bushing as well, since this bushing seems too large around the plug area.

If I went with a guide rod... recommendations for this model, please. I already know the Colt Officers model conversion is too short...rookie mistake:frusty:

Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice,
    Brent

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a Compact and it's set up w/ a bull barrel and reverse plug. I was planning on replacing it with a bushing set up, but recently changed my mind.
    [​IMG]

For you, if you want to do the traditional GI set up, then a new bushing would be needed. You can get a commander bushing, but will need to grind down the skirt to the length that's on your current bushing. See picture for reference.
    [​IMG]

And yes, a commander GI spring plug should be able to replace your OEM one.

3. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Just a heads up on the bull barrel slides. Some of them don't have a cut for the barrel bushing lug to even lock into. Make sure you have that cut before considering that "upgrade".

Good luck with all your mods guys.

5. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Thank god, mine was cut out for a bushing. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Scalded_Dawg

Jan 25, 2012
    Thank you both for the intel.
    Mine is not a bull barrel and does have the notch for bushing lug.

7. Scalded_Dawg

Jan 25, 2012
  8. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    You're welcome.

EGW is one of the best company for 1911 parts. They are use my Tier 1 smiths.

George is a really nice guy and I had ordered a custom bushing/plug set from him.
    [​IMG]

9. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    S&A I believe still sells the plugs & barrel bushings for these. I bought one a few years ago but ended up modifying a Wilson for a tighter fit.They bushing is kind of a cross between officers & commander.If you decide to modify one you will need to open up the plug area on a commander bushing.
    DSC00408.JPG DSC00413.JPG DSC00412.JPG

10. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    Clark makes a modified bushing with the stud and a full collar to solve this issue. No modifications to the gun or barrel are needed.

11. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
  12. Scalded_Dawg

Jan 25, 2012
    lsbbigdog -- That's a sweet rig... diggin the color combo. Just to clarify, You're talking Smith and Alexander? Didn't see any plugs on their website, I'll call 'em up.

Greg Derr -- Have you used the Clark plug before? Great idea they have there but the product pics make it look a little sloppy... However it is another good option.

Thanks for the input! Awesome info so far, Keep it coming.

13. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    Sorry .Meant Springfield Armory

14. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    Yes that is what I use. You can blend it if needed, but it beats the Colt with that goofy looking slot in the front. When it is installed you don't see the flange.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted