close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide stop issues.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by CanIhaveGasCash, Sep 22, 2011.

1. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I have two springfield TRP's and I have been using Wilson ETM magazines with one of them for two years without any issues. My newest TRP will not lock back with an empty magazine. It will only lock back using a factory magazine.

I have an ETM with the Tripp Super 7 upgrade kit and it will only push the slide stop up about 3/4 of way and does not get very good engagement with the slide. I'm wondering if this is an issue that can be remedied with a different slide stop fitted by a gunsmith, or if I am stuck using factory magazines. I have tried putting a stock follower in an ETM and that seems to solve the issue, however I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

Wilson ETM
    [​IMG]

Super 7 Upgrade Kit
    [​IMG]

Factory
    [​IMG]

2. Lordofbarbeque

Lordofbarbeque New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    This is a long shot, but look to see if the ETM mag rubber is hitting bottom of front strap relief area on new TRP. I had this happen on 1911 where front strap relief was just enough to let the mag catch but the ETM rubber was pushing up against front strap making me think it was the slide stop. I ended up increasing the front strap depth in mag opening and solved problem.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I agree to take a look at what LOBQ is suggesting.

4. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    If you've been using the mags for two years, you may also consider the mag springs. Just a thought.

claire

5. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I should have mentioned that I have a new set of ETM's and they all have the same issue. Good thought on the base pad, I'll check it out.

6. Lordofbarbeque

Lordofbarbeque New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    In my case they were ETM mags that I acquired new this April ( lots of rubber there ). But if you look at your front strap depth, you might find that the relief is not to proper depth. On my pistol it was about .010" too shallow.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Springs are worn from use (compression and decompression). If they stay constant thing it's not an issue. This is the same reason why mags are fine when they've been loaded for years, and still runs fine in a gun.

8. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    have you tried stripping off the slide and using just the frame, put the slide stop in and then grab your mags and observe how the "good" mags interact with the slide stop, and the "bad" one. The simple thing is the bad mag isn't pushing up on the slide stop enough and thats all mag since you've proven it otherwise works with other mags so I'd rule out the frame or slide stop.

9. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    It is just strange that all of the mags function perfectly with one gun, and a few mags don't function with another. I checked the ETM's and the base pad isn't hitting the frame.

10. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    not too strange, on TOS there are many with the same issue using the ETMs

11. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    You may have misread, I'm talking about how the ETM mag follower contacts the slide top in the gun with the problem. Not the base pad. Everything to do with the slide stop locking the slide open is the mag follower or the mag body hitting, you need to see what that mag is not doing with that particular slide stop/gun.

12. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    With the slide off, all of the magazines push the slide stop up. They all appear to be contacting the slide stop properly. Once the slide is back on I have the same issue. I think either the follower is catching in the magazine or the magazine spring isn't strong enough. Either way it's time to get rid of the ETM's, which is too bad because I like their base pad design.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted